Author Topic: Stocks plunge as rate hikes rattle markets, retail sales miss  (Read 539 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Stocks plunge as rate hikes rattle markets, retail sales miss
« on: December 15, 2022, 06:19:40 pm »
U.S. stocks tumbled Thursday as Wall Street reeled from another sizable rate hike by Federal Reserve officials and assessed similar moves by monetary policymakers across the Atlantic. A disappointing reading on consumer spending also weighed on sentiment.

The European Central Bank and the Bank of England followed the U.S. Fed in raising interest rates by 50 basis points Thursday morning. The BoE's hike brought rates in the country to their highest since 2008.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/stock-market-news-live-updates-december-15-2022-114938982.html

-----------

The market looks weak as a wet noodle right now.
The Republic is lost.

Online mountaineer

Re: Stocks plunge as rate hikes rattle markets, retail sales miss
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 11:06:58 pm »
You know who didn't lose money in the stock market? A lot of members of Congress! Isn't that amazing?
unusual_whales
@unusual_whales
🚨BREAKING🚨
I have just released the full trading report on politicians in 2022.
Despite 2022 being the worst market since 2008, both Democrats & Republicans beat the market.
Many politicians individually beat the market.
And many made unusual trades resulting in huge gains.

9:36 AM · Jan 3, 2023
This tweeter adds, "Despite 2022 being the worst market since 2008, both Democrats & Republicans beat the market. Democrats were down -1.76% in 2022, whereas Republicans were up +0.4%. Meanwhile, the S&P500 was down 18% in 2022."

More at 2022 Congressional Stock Trading Report
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023, 12:09:26 am »
You know who didn't lose money in the stock market? A lot of members of Congress! Isn't that amazing?This tweeter adds, "Despite 2022 being the worst market since 2008, both Democrats & Republicans beat the market. Democrats were down -1.76% in 2022, whereas Republicans were up +0.4%. Meanwhile, the S&P500 was down 18% in 2022."

More at 2022 Congressional Stock Trading Report

Members of Congress and their family members should only be permitted to invest through blind trusts over which they have no control, and no right to information on any constituent security in the blind trust’s portfolio.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 12:59:04 pm »
I was down 1.12% in '22.  Only second year since 1982 that I've suffered a portfolio loss.  I have tracked it that closely for that long.

Only other year was 2009, during the Obama Crash.

And honesty, looking at that graph, there is no way in hell anyone legally netted a 50% increase, with any level of diversification.
Fails the smell test, big time.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 01:02:07 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2023, 01:29:05 pm »
I was surprised that we were down only about 1.28% by the end of 2022. Of course, there were a few weeks in there that looked dicey.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2023, 01:45:35 pm »
I was surprised that we were down only about 1.28% by the end of 2022. Of course, there were a few weeks in there that looked dicey.

Great results in a tough year.   :beer:

Going into Dec., I actually was up a fraction of 1%, but some of my tax-free muni funds and corp. bonds went full dog on me.  Yep, the Fed strikes again.

On the bright side, on the latter, we might be close to some decent LT fixed return instruments.  From a miserly  perspective, I'd like to see the 30-yr reach 4%, and this damned bond inversion start subsiding.    I don't wish that on anyone else having to deal with killer rates , but I think we got a rare opportunity if we time it right.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.