Author Topic: Shapiro's bipartisanship talk welcome in fight-weary Capitol  (Read 1567 times)

Online Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
Shapiro's bipartisanship talk welcome in fight-weary Capitol
« on: December 15, 2022, 03:51:24 pm »
https://www.wesa.fm/politics-government/2022-12-15/shapiros-bipartisanship-talk-welcome-in-fight-weary-capitol

Democratic Gov.-elect Josh Shapiro will take office next month talking about how voters across the political spectrum in Pennsylvania gave him a mandate, a message he will carry into a state Capitol riven by partisanship and, recently, a breakdown in lawmaking.

Shapiro, the state's two-term attorney general and a former state lawmaker and county commissioner, has possibly a better understanding than any recent predecessor about what it takes to get legislation through the nation's largest full-time Legislature.

To a significant extent, Shapiro starts off in strong position: his fellow Democrats won the House, state coffers are flush with cash and his Republican opponent was weak, peddling far-right views that repelled donors and moderate voters.

Still, the state Senate remains firmly in Republican control, meaning that every new law must have a GOP stamp of approval. Now, five weeks into his transition, Shapiro is stressing bipartisanship, seeding his transition team with Republicans and avoiding radioactive political issues.

(snip)

In remarks at a state Republican Party luncheon earlier this month in New York, the Senate's top Republican, Kim Ward of Westmoreland County, said she was optimistic about what could be accomplished. Shapiro, she told the crowd, has a number of priorities that appeal to Republicans.

The House’s top Republican, Bryan Cutler of Lancaster County, said there is a lot of consistency between the things Shapiro has talked about and what House Republicans have made their priorities.

“All those are priorities that we are absolutely willing to work on,” Cutler said in an interview.

In turn, Shapiro likely will ask Republicans to bend on what he wants.

EXCERPT
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Online Timber Rattler

Re: Shapiro's bipartisanship talk welcome in fight-weary Capitol
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2022, 03:54:29 pm »
Keeping in mind that Associated Press reporter Marc Levy is an unabashed Democrat based in Harrisburg who typically trashes Republicans in his stories, I think this piece reveals more about the corruption within the State GOP leadership, which thinks that it can go along to get along better with Shapiro than with Mastriano, who they refused to support.  Kim Ward, for instance, stabbed Mastriano in the back in August 2021 when Jake "the Snake" Corman stopped the audit, removed Mastriano from the investigation, and fired his staff.  She went right along with Snake until Mastriano won the primary, and suddenly she wanted to be friends again.

Gag.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 03:05:15 am »
Glad to see a PA board.

I live in rural NY, right across from the PA line, and am in that state quite frequently.

I think @mountaineer has mentioned that she is in a similar situation on the other end of the state, living in WV and crossing into PA often.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2022, 03:41:10 am »
That's  right - I'm a Pittsburgh native living just across  the state line in WV. I try to keep up on PA politics and also am glad to see a board devoted to it.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2022, 12:28:53 pm »
I tend to agree with you, Rattler, about the Pa. GOP. They have been less than effective in recent years.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Timber Rattler

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2022, 12:49:44 pm »
I tend to agree with you, Rattler, about the Pa. GOP. They have been less than effective in recent years.

Yeah, I know Mastriano personally outside of politics and worked on his campaign, and saw firsthand how rotten and corrupt the Republican establishment (i.e. the current legislative leadership, county chairs, former office holders, etc.) really are, and it is bad. 

With that said, Doug told me that Lawrence Tabas and the State Committee were EXCELLENT and cooperated fully with him at that level, surprisingly. (And no I'm not Lawrence, or on the Committee, or know him). 

So looking around TBR, I noticed that we needed a Pennsylvania room too to keep up with all the forthcoming skullduggery and bad news that will be spewing out of the Shapiro Administration in very short order, and asked @mystery-ak if she would set up a board for PA, which she immediately did. 

God bless her!!!   :lubyou:

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2022, 01:19:41 pm »
When a dimocrat offers and sticks out his hand in bi-partisonship.......   Check the other hand for a dagger.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2022, 11:00:15 pm »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2022, 11:10:36 pm »
Glad to see a PA board.  :yowsa:
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all