Author Topic: "Ghost Guns!" EEK! EEK! EEK!  (Read 960 times)

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
"Ghost Guns!" EEK! EEK! EEK!
« on: December 14, 2022, 03:48:24 pm »
Ok,how many of you personally know of ANYONE that has even been shot at by these "ghost guns",never mind murdered?

BTW,there is nothing "ghostly" about them. They are just "kit guns" that you can buy and assemble for yourself.

How many of you  think the typical gangbanger is capable of doing this?

This is nothing more or less than the left using a new tactic to disarm Americans.

WHY are they afraid of armed Americans?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online roamer_1

Re: "Ghost Guns!" EEK! EEK! EEK!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2022, 05:07:41 pm »
Ok,how many of you personally know of ANYONE that has even been shot at by these "ghost guns",never mind murdered?

BTW,there is nothing "ghostly" about them. They are just "kit guns" that you can buy and assemble for yourself.

How many of you  think the typical gangbanger is capable of doing this?

This is nothing more or less than the left using a new tactic to disarm Americans.

WHY are they afraid of armed Americans?

I'm scratch-building a 1911, just to see if I can... Does that count?

Offline verga

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2022, 08:47:33 pm »
I'm scratch-building a 1911, just to see if I can... Does that count?
Toyed with the idea of doing one about 15 years ago. let me know how it goes.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2022, 10:00:25 pm »

@verga

I should tell you in advance that I was a SF weapons man in the army,and later went to a 2 year gunsmiting course,and then worked in a gun shop for a year before opening my own shop.

Ok,with that said,I custom-built an all-steel (this is VERY important!) Colt Combat Commander as my personal carry gun that would ONLY operate with my personal handloads which I will NOT talk about. GI Hardball wouldn't even cycle the slide far enough to create a jam,but with my handloads,it cycled flawlessly and was VERY accurate. It was my carry gun for years.

When I was told I had Stage 4 Lymphoma,I gave it and almost all my other guns to one of my most trusted friends to sell for me so I could have more money in my estate when I died for charity. When I die,half of my estate goes to Feline Hope,and the other half goes to St.Judes Children's Hospital.

This was a guy that had never even held a gun before meeting me,and I taught him everything he knows. He ended up getting a manufacturing license from the BATF,and now builds custom rifles for sale. I even gave him all my spare parts,tools, finished rifles,and manuals.

Been damn near two years now,and I haven't received a dime from  him,and he no longer answers my phone calls.

The worse part about this is he is wealthy. Was hospitalized a couple of years ago and didn't have any health insurance,and paid the 100 grand + hospital bill out of his savings account. Has a HUGE two story brick home on several acres that is also paid for,as are both of his trucks.

The moral of this story is to not trust ANYBODY.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 10:02:40 pm by sneakypete »

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2022, 10:09:06 pm »

@verga

BTW,there are hundreds of aftermarket custom parts for the 1911 series handguns. If you are not an experienced gunsmith,my advice to you would be to start looking around at the parts and manuals for sale,pick one,and buy ALL your parts from them. That way if something doesn't work properly,the dealer can't say it's because you used some defective parts from another source.

How far you go will depend on your knowledge,the tools you  have,and your bank account.

One thing to remember is that just because some parts are more expensive than others,it doesn't mean they will work better. The flip side is to not buy from any source just because they are the cheapest.

AND,ALWAYS wear safety glasses and earmuffs when shooting at the range. The noise is not a problem if you are shooting to survive in a "real life situation" because the adrenaline will kick in and all you will hear is mild "pops".

BTW,the custom Combat Commander I built will shoot my "banzi" handloads without flaw,but GI ball won't even cycle the slide far enough to jam it.

AND.....if all this sounds to risky for you,buy a Single Action Only revolver in 44 Special with a 3 inch barrel that has no rear sights (but does have a groove in the top strap for sighting purposes) and MY preferred load for my  Rossi is 200 grain hollowpoints. So far the only thing I have shot with mine other than cans and other harmless targets is poisonous snakes,but am VERY happy with the results. I put the rubber tip from a crutch over the muzzle and front sight to keep it from tearing a hole in my pants or jacket pocket or hanging up on the pocket so I can pull it out if I have the time.

Rossi is no longer in business. They were bought out by Taurus,that makes a larger stainless 44 Special. Damn shame,because in MY opinion,the Rossi was a much better revolver. Mine was so slick right out of the box that I have never even taken the side plate off of it,and I literally wouldn't sell it for a thousand bucks. It is still my personal "go to town" handgun if I have to go to a city for some reason. My normal carry gun is a 9 shot 22LR revolver with a 1-3/4 inch barrel. It had rear sights when I bought it,but I took them off.

The truth of the matter is you don't really need sights in a self-defense event. The other guy/guys are close enough they are almost impossible to miss if you can stay calm and not waste bullets. Shoot for the center of their chests because it is the biggest target.

Also,my BEST advice is that in a self-defense situation,the BEST thing you can do is stick your hand in your pocket and grab your handgun and tell the attacker/attackers that if they come any closer you will take your gun out of your pocket and shoot them all to death,and then smile at them and act relaxed.

Do NOT tell them what type of gun you have,or mention the caliber. There are actual cases of street thugs running away and then telling the police you pulled a gun on them and tried to rob THEM. They would have a hell of a time getting away with this if they can't describe the gun.

THINKING is what will keep you alive and unharmed more than anything else.

BTW,if push comes to shove,you CAN shoot right through a coat pocket if you are shooting a revolver with a bobbed hammer. You can't do that with a semi-auto because it will jam.

BTW-2,be VERY aware that if you do shoot through your pants pocket that your pants will likely catch on fire. BIG reason to wear a jacket and keep it in your jacket pocket instead of a pants pocket. You can pull your jacket off to stomp out the fire,but you are going to look both silly and obvious trying to run away in your drawers.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 10:32:31 pm by sneakypete »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2022, 11:16:08 pm »

The only thing that scares me a bit is rifling the barrel. I don't know what I am doing there, and whether I can pull off such a narrow, internal, long spiral on a tooling lathe. That part is going to take a butt-ton of learning on my part, and probably not a little trial and error. And beer. LOTS of beer.  :laugh:

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2022, 11:18:16 pm »
The only thing that scares me a bit is rifling the barrel. I don't know what I am doing there, and whether I can pull off such a narrow, internal, long spiral on a tooling lathe. That part is going to take a butt-ton of learning on my part, and probably not a little trial and error. And beer. LOTS of beer.  :laugh:

@roamer_1

Really a waste of time and money when you can buy a barrel blank already rifled to you specs so cheap,and turn it down to the contours to fit your needs.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2022, 11:23:12 pm »
@roamer_1

Really a waste of time and money when you can buy a barrel blank already rifled to you specs so cheap,and turn it down to the contours to fit your needs.

@sneakypete

The point would be how to make one when they are no longer available... And maybe how to put that into production  :whistle: :nono:

I can go out and buy the best 1911 possible and not have in it the time and money spent on the learning how and making of it. So money and convenience are already off the table.

And mostly because I have been braggin for years that I could make one with nothing but what's in a regular automotive shop, and a flycutter, and a tooling lathe... All of which I own.

So I am putting my money where my mouth has been.

Offline verga

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2022, 11:59:56 am »
@verga

BTW,there are hundreds of aftermarket custom parts for the 1911 series handguns. If you are not an experienced gunsmith,my advice to you would be to start looking around at the parts and manuals for sale,pick one,and buy ALL your parts from them. That way if something doesn't work properly,the dealer can't say it's because you used some defective parts from another source.

How far you go will depend on your knowledge,the tools you  have,and your bank account.
I am a fairly experienced machinist, the plan was to purchase top quality aftermarket parts and do the fitting and assembly myself. The only thing I could not do was the rifling of the barrel. It is possible that a friend of a friend may or may not have walked me through the process to do that with an AR style rifle with a 22 inch stainless steel Wylde barrel that holds 3 inch groups at 500 yards with either .223 or 5.56.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2022, 02:24:02 pm »
I am a fairly experienced machinist, the plan was to purchase top quality aftermarket parts and do the fitting and assembly myself.

@verga

That is a part of the plan from the beginning, or you are not building a firearm yourself.

Nobody expects you to design,forge,and then machine the parts. Besides "re-inventing the wheel",it is a collossal waste of time,money,and energy when brand new quality parts are available to purchase and hand fit.

Offline verga

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2022, 03:02:00 pm »
@verga

That is a part of the plan from the beginning, or you are not building a firearm yourself.

Nobody expects you to design,forge,and then machine the parts. Besides "re-inventing the wheel",it is a collossal waste of time,money,and energy when brand new quality parts are available to purchase and hand fit.
I had intended to do it about 30 years ago, but other things took my attention and it fell by the wayside. Maybe someday.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2022, 04:53:26 pm »
I had intended to do it about 30 years ago, but other things took my attention and it fell by the wayside. Maybe someday.

@verga,

If I were you,I would go ahead and buy the parts I want right NOW.

You can always sell them later for a profit if you don't use them now.

Don't be cheap,though. Spend the bucks to buy quality parts,and since you have never done this before,buy all your parts from the same manufacturer to guarantee less work fitting it all together and getting it "right".