Author Topic: Christmas Day Forecast: Snowiest and Coldest Since 2000  (Read 14499 times)

Offline EdinVA

Re: Christmas Day Forecast: Snowiest and Coldest Since 2000
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2022, 07:56:52 pm »
Train Plowing railroad tracks after winter storm - December 2022 - Donner Pass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcmD_hCnwHQ

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2022, 08:01:10 pm »
Yikes. I just checked the long range forecast, and we're looking at temperatures in the mid-teens for Christmas Eve and Christmas day, with wind chills closer to zero. Ugh.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2022, 09:31:35 pm »
Yikes. I just checked the long range forecast, and we're looking at temperatures in the mid-teens for Christmas Eve and Christmas day, with wind chills closer to zero. Ugh.
The sad thing about SoCal is no white Christmas and rarely a cold wet Christmas, this year they predict mid 70's. Maybe that's just one more reason I am so down this Christmas.

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2022, 09:58:31 pm »
The sad thing about SoCal is no white Christmas and rarely a cold wet Christmas, this year they predict mid 70's. Maybe that's just one more reason I am so down this Christmas.

I will volunteer to switch places with you!  :laugh:
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2022, 10:46:59 pm »
Rudolph had better polish up that schnozzola of his.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline berdie

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2022, 10:51:55 pm »

Yep. The forecast here for Christmas weekend is going to be cooold. I dread it!

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2022, 12:06:50 am »
I didn't say I liked snow, wasn't even a fan when my dad took us up to the mountains in California so we could sled in sled/tube in the snow. I think snow is fine as long as I am inside by a fire with a nice beverage, not for being outside in. I was not happy the one time I went hunting with a BIL in Colorado, we'll sleep in a tent he said, the weather will be fine he said, I woke up with the tent on my face because of all the snow pushing it down. Nope not a fan of snow. **nononono*

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2022, 01:06:37 am »
Our cold spell is slated for Monday night through Friday morning, with highs in the double digits below zero, and lows trending around twenty below. We're also looking at more snow to cap off the well over a foot we have right now (depending on drifts and blowouts, snowpack ranges from 0 to three feet or more, but one foot is about right.) It's powdery snow, so it moves around well on the ubiquitous and inexorable wind.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2022, 01:08:23 am »
:silly:

Have they opened the roads back up down your way?

We've had 'no travel advised', and no mail, for days now.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2022, 01:24:05 am »
I just looked at our 10 day weather forecast. Day before Christmas Eve we will dip down into the 40's, Christmas Eve we will also dip into the 40's at night; daytime temps will be in the high 60's. I can't say that this is unusually cold for this time of year but it's definitely a little on the chilly side for us.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 01:25:47 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2022, 01:33:37 am »
I'm smoothing it... high 20s till tomorrow then single digits with only one remarkable night... That day a high of 7, and -12... which is the worst of it, heading into a thaw toward christmas day.

Sweet.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2022, 01:41:44 am »
I'm smoothing it... high 20s till tomorrow then single digits with only one remarkable night... That day a high of 7, and -12... which is the worst of it, heading into a thaw toward christmas day.

Sweet.

Life in the banana belt... :silly:

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2022, 01:46:52 am »
Life in the banana belt... :silly:

No doubt  happy77... But we catch up with all y'all in january... If we are gonna hit -20/-30,  that'll be when... For 2 weeks to a month... And then breakup starts in feb...

Maybe, considering how hard it came in, it will go out easy !  :shrug:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2022, 01:53:16 am »
No doubt  happy77... But we catch up with all y'all in january... If we are gonna hit -20/-30,  that'll be when... For 2 weeks to a month... And then breakup starts in feb...

Maybe, considering how hard it came in, it will go out easy !  :shrug:
Contrast with out last frost some time in mid June...I have seen a month up here where the high for the month was zero.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2022, 02:03:20 am »
Contrast with out last frost some time in mid June...I have seen a month up here where the high for the month was zero.

Been there done that - but not this year. Our avg has prolly been low teens or high singles. Just came in hard and stayed. Our first thaw is coming on for christmas...

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2022, 10:55:49 pm »
:silly:

Have they opened the roads back up down your way?

We've had 'no travel advised', and no mail, for days now.

Yes, finally. No mail yet. No UPS or FedEx. Husband spent all morning moving snow. Grandkids love the big piles he made for them to slide down.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Online roamer_1

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2022, 12:20:01 am »
Yes, finally. No mail yet. No UPS or FedEx. Husband spent all morning moving snow. Grandkids love the big piles he made for them to slide down.

Plow piles... Fixin to teach the yougins how to build a quinzhee... Always a good time... Fry bread and hot chocolates over the fire, and a hard day of digging for them... Me, I just sit in my chair and point a lot...  happy77

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2022, 12:25:38 am »
Plow piles... Fixin to teach the yougins how to build a quinzhee... Always a good time... Fry bread and hot chocolates over the fire, and a hard day of digging for them... Me, I just sit in my chair and point a lot...  happy77

Wife tells of when her dad wrecked the van when she was little... He lost a lot of tools in the snowbank and had to come back weeks later to find his tools.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online roamer_1

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2022, 01:00:35 am »
Wife tells of when her dad wrecked the van when she was little... He lost a lot of tools in the snowbank and had to come back weeks later to find his tools.

Yeah... That'll happen here too - But I use all my secondary gear when the youngins are involved, so when they lose em, I ain't gotta get pissed... At least, not till we find em again with the mower in the spring... But all my real gear stays in my go-bag and onboard my polk... and them kids know better than to get in those things.  happy77

It's a really good time though, and it learns em the basics in case the get caught out.... And there's sledding and such too, as you'd expect. Always fun. And makes an old duffer seem useful for a minute.  :beer:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 01:01:25 am by roamer_1 »

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2022, 07:43:16 pm »

Offline libertybele

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline berdie

« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2022, 09:04:47 pm »

Beautiful! But it chills me to the bone just looking at it.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2022, 10:04:16 pm »

Beautiful! But it chills me to the bone just looking at it.

Ain't so bad...  happy77

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2022, 02:45:59 pm »
Winter storm: Bomb cyclone could hit in just days and cause Christmas chaos
by Ryan King, Breaking News Reporter
December 20, 2022 09:18 AM

Midwesterners may have a white Christmas as the formation of a bomb cyclone barrels their way and upends air travel.

Already, multiple airlines, such as JetBlue, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Southwest Airlines, and Alaska Airlines, are offering travel waivers to allow flight change fees to be waived for customers flying to specific locations for the holidays in anticipation of the inclement weather.

United Airlines is also offering three winter weather waivers for the Midwest, Texas, and East Coast, respectively. Cold and forceful winds from the storm are expected to strike parts of Texas and the East Coast over the coming days.

https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/1604910645102755846

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/winter-storm-bomb-cyclone-could-christmas-chaos
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2022, 03:01:12 pm »
Ugh, we're looking at single digits this weekend. I extend a single digit to the weather!!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org