Author Topic: Christmas Day Forecast: Snowiest and Coldest Since 2000  (Read 16136 times)

Offline mountaineer

Re: Christmas Day Forecast: Snowiest and Coldest Since 2000
« Reply #175 on: December 26, 2022, 05:50:45 pm »
Deadly U.S. Winter Storm Maintains Its Icy Grip, Claims at Least 34 Lives
The WEF, Bill Gates, et al., must be celebrating. Yay, people dying in the cold. Huzzah.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #176 on: December 26, 2022, 08:44:02 pm »
The WEF, Bill Gates, et al., must be celebrating. Yay, people dying in the cold. Huzzah.

“If they would rather die,” said Scrooge, “they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population.”
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online Hoodat

« Reply #177 on: December 26, 2022, 09:06:05 pm »
Temps climb above freezing here in Middle Tennessee.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Idiot

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #179 on: December 27, 2022, 04:53:42 am »
Temps climb above freezing here in Middle Tennessee.

Odd because it didn't here in N.E Bama... it stayed below freezing and even snowed some (<inch). We have not been above freezing now for over 3 days.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #180 on: December 28, 2022, 02:11:31 am »
If you want political incompetence at its worst, you go on Twitter and look up Mark Poloncarz. He's the county executive of Erie County, NY (including Buffalo), a hardcore partisan Democrat. He responded to the storm—a few hours too late, since it was already after morning drive and the flash freeze was already well underway when he did this—by imposing lockdowns even more draconian than the coronavirus ones, threatening anyone who left their house with criminal charges, calling in "military police" to issue tickets instead of actually provide relief, calling off the snowplows so that first responders couldn't reach emergencies, and lecturing the residents of the county for daring to call 911 during emergencies. Including over parts of the county that were barely touched.

Buffalo has historically done pretty well in handling bad snowstorms. But they completely botched it this time around. Instead of the City of Good Neighbors, it turned into victim blaming, looting and dozens dead. And the vast majority of that comes from the absolutely corrupt, incompetent, and megalomaniacal "leadership" provided by the government's emergency response team. They've really taken Reagan's adage about "I'm from the government and I'm here to help" being the nine scariest words in the English language and proven it in spades.

Poloncarz is up for re-election in 2023. It's a swing county as far as the executive goes (those who are elected have typically been close to the center politically, either conservative Democrats like Dennis Gorski or liberal Republicans like Joel Giambra) so Poloncarz could very well lose his job.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #181 on: December 28, 2022, 02:42:18 am »
If you want political incompetence at its worst, you go on Twitter and look up Mark Poloncarz. He's the county executive of Erie County, NY (including Buffalo), a hardcore partisan Democrat. He responded to the storm—a few hours too late, since it was already after morning drive and the flash freeze was already well underway when he did this—by imposing lockdowns even more draconian than the coronavirus ones, threatening anyone who left their house with criminal charges, calling in "military police" to issue tickets instead of actually provide relief, calling off the snowplows so that first responders couldn't reach emergencies, and lecturing the residents of the county for daring to call 911 during emergencies. Including over parts of the county that were barely touched.

Buffalo has historically done pretty well in handling bad snowstorms. But they completely botched it this time around. Instead of the City of Good Neighbors, it turned into victim blaming, looting and dozens dead. And the vast majority of that comes from the absolutely corrupt, incompetent, and megalomaniacal "leadership" provided by the government's emergency response team. They've really taken Reagan's adage about "I'm from the government and I'm here to help" being the nine scariest words in the English language and proven it in spades.

Poloncarz is up for re-election in 2023. It's a swing county as far as the executive goes (those who are elected have typically been close to the center politically, either conservative Democrats like Dennis Gorski or liberal Republicans like Joel Giambra) so Poloncarz could very well lose his job.

I've noticed that since this model was developed in the blue states for COVID, it seems like it's being test cased for other events in what's becoming a very disturbing pattern.

You might give a heads up to one or more of the right wing news sites about what's going on.
The Republic is lost.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #182 on: December 28, 2022, 02:45:24 am »
NY woman who died after blizzard trapped her in her car for 18 hours sent terrifying final video to family
December 27, 2022 | Terresa Monroe-Hamilton

As a once-in-a-lifetime blizzard descended on Buffalo, New York, a young woman named Anndel Taylor tried to make it home after work only to get stranded in her car for 18 hours, sending a final heartbreaking video home to her loved ones before she died.

Taylor, 22, died over the weekend after heading home on Friday afternoon, getting stuck with 50 inches of snow surrounding her vehicle. She is one of at least 28 who has perished in the snowstorm, devastating New York’s second-largest city according to the Associated Press.

The video came from inside her car the day before she was discovered dead from what her mother, Wanda Brown Steele, claimed was carbon monoxide poisoning, rather than hypothermia. It shows her trapped in the car as the wind howled outside after midnight on Saturday. She had called 911 and was waiting for first responders to come.

Her friends and family who saw the video begged for someone to help her because they were unable to get to her. Taylor wasn’t found until Saturday afternoon. She had moved back to Buffalo to take care of her father.

https://twitter.com/MikeSington/status/1607708731822964737

more
https://americanwirenews.com/ny-woman-who-died-after-blizzard-trapped-her-in-her-car-for-18-hours-sent-terrifying-final-video-to-family/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online roamer_1

« Reply #183 on: December 28, 2022, 02:56:34 am »
NY woman who died after blizzard trapped her in her car for 18 hours sent terrifying final video to family

This kind of thing just pisses me off... What a waste. It breaks my heart.

Had she the gear onboard to preserve her... had she known to keep the exhaust clear, and crack the windows now and then... Had she known how to build a fire and set a shelter... This sort of thing should not happen, or happen exceedingly rarely.

Don't anybody in NY own a damn snow machine?

Why ain't they (folks with snow machines) organized and ready, search and rescue style, to carry those in trouble to local firehouses and at least preserve life? Why not at least carrying supplies in to those stranded... gas and food to keep them running and warm? Setting forward bases with tents and heat, and supplying those bases till evac becomes possible?

This is unconscionable loss to me.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #184 on: December 28, 2022, 03:02:28 am »
This kind of thing just pisses me off... What a waste. It breaks my heart.

Had she the gear onboard to preserve her... had she known to keep the exhaust clear, and crack the windows now and then... Had she known how to build a fire and set a shelter... This sort of thing should not happen, or happen exceedingly rarely.

Don't anybody in NY own a damn snow machine?

Why ain't they (folks with snow machines) organized and ready, search and rescue style, to carry those in trouble to local firehouses and at least preserve life? Why not at least carrying supplies in to those stranded... gas and food to keep them running and warm? Setting forward bases with tents and heat, and supplying those bases till evac becomes possible?

This is unconscionable loss to me.

Totally agree. A young life snuffed out for no good reason.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #185 on: December 28, 2022, 03:36:23 am »
Probably the snow covered up her tailpipe, it happens in Boston in big storms a lot.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #186 on: December 28, 2022, 06:11:42 am »
Probably the snow covered up her tailpipe, it happens in Boston in big storms a lot.

Imagine...a high school which teaches kids not only geometry, but how to survive in various emergency situations.

That said...my brother in South Buffalo said he couldn't see the street from his living room for over 24 hours...a distance of 90 feet.  Complete whiteout.

How the hell do you build a shelter and fire in that?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #187 on: December 28, 2022, 06:23:02 am »
Looting during a national weather disaster like hurricanes gets a little bit different response here than what we are seeing in NY.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #188 on: December 28, 2022, 07:05:19 am »
How the hell do you build a shelter and fire in that?

Come with me... I can teach ya.  happy77 :seeya:

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #189 on: December 28, 2022, 11:27:53 am »
Come with me... I can teach ya.  happy77 :seeya:

LOL!  Happy New Year!!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online roamer_1

« Reply #190 on: December 28, 2022, 12:03:17 pm »
LOL!  Happy New Year!!

You too pal!  happy77 :beer:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #191 on: December 28, 2022, 03:10:50 pm »
Imagine...a high school which teaches kids not only geometry, but how to survive in various emergency situations.

That said...my brother in South Buffalo said he couldn't see the street from his living room for over 24 hours...a distance of 90 feet.  Complete whiteout.

Most people don't understand the concept of blizzards and whiteout. We don't even get them here that much anymore.

Great grandma said back in the late 1800's as a kid it snowed so much and so hard, that to feed the animals they'd tie a rope from the house to the barn, then tie another rope around you and hook on. She said every blizzard someone would die 20ft from their house because they got lost in the blinding, blowing snow and froze.

The Republic is lost.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #192 on: December 28, 2022, 03:12:59 pm »
Most people don't understand the concept of blizzards and whiteout. We don't even get them here that much anymore.

Great grandma said back in the late 1800's as a kid it snowed so much and so hard, that to feed the animals they'd tie a rope from the house to the barn, then tie another rope around you and hook on. She said every blizzard someone would die 20ft from their house because they got lost in the blinding, blowing snow and froze.

It's coming back around again... No surprise.
It's been a while... but I am old enough to remember that weather being common here.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #194 on: December 28, 2022, 04:02:26 pm »
Niagra Falls ---

https://nypost.com/2022/12/27/niagara-falls-transforms-into-winter-wonderland-photos/

Grew up just 40 minutes away from Niagara Falls.

Till this day, still can't understand why all that crumbled rockbed isn't removed and/or reduced.

It would make the Falls louder and more dramatic.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #195 on: December 28, 2022, 04:10:25 pm »

Exactly...

...And the snow pelting your skin in that wind...you just want to sit and get your wits about you. 

Have to figure @roamer_1  wasn't 'seeing' our idea of a whiteout.

Feel free to expound how...and btw,.,no smirking here.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #196 on: December 28, 2022, 04:30:32 pm »
Exactly...

...And the snow pelting your skin in that wind...you just want to sit and get your wits about you. 

Have to figure @roamer_1  wasn't 'seeing' our idea of a whiteout.

Feel free to expound how...and btw,.,no smirking here.

I have been caught above the tree line in blowing snow so thick you can't see ten feet, @DCPatriot ... I know ALL about blizzards.

And I don't mean to be dismissive. It's just that the remedy is almost always the same, and not that hard... The forest is down hill. And the forest is where the avalanches ain't. Get to the forest and you've increased your chances by a long way.

After that, it ain't THAT the wind is blowin.
It's WHERE the wind is blowin' (to bastardize a Ron white quote)...
You simply have to go where the wind ain't... And that's in the lee of something.

That, an axe, a bow saw, a knife, and a ferro rod... a good supply of wood to build a long fire, a pile of boughs, a 10x10 tarp, a 6x16 sheet of plastic, and I don't care how cold it is outside. With that much, in an hour or so, I will be inside, out of the weather, and in 80 degree heat.

Still not great, because you need somewhere to hang your gear and dry it out, but it'll do as long as the wood for the fire holds out.

been there many times. A super shelter (as I described) leads to a colorado leanto, which brings the fire inside, which leads to dry gear and time to make snow shoes if you need em... and you can walk out from there.

A 'dead man's grave' shelter or a quihzhee work just as well (but take a while to build and require deep snow), and any of the above shelters will leave you in considerable comfort in a pinch. And the cold won't matter if you can get warm.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #197 on: December 28, 2022, 04:34:20 pm »
And btw... YES. that gear is always on me if I am in the woods, and all of it is always in my pickup  happy77

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #198 on: December 28, 2022, 04:42:21 pm »
And btw... YES. that gear is always on me if I am in the woods, and all of it is always in my pickup  happy77

Not bragging, but between beng a boy scout as kid, knowing survival skills, and possessing a little common sense.......

I doubt you will ever find hypothermia or freezing to death ever as a "cause of death" on my death certificate.

Like I mentioned earlier on the thread, our ancestors 150+ years ago, dealt with this on a routine basis, and seem to be fine. Has society  changed that much in 150 years that we are helpless in self-survival situations?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion