Author Topic: Christmas Day Forecast: Snowiest and Coldest Since 2000  (Read 15194 times)

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Re: Christmas Day Forecast: Snowiest and Coldest Since 2000
« Reply #100 on: December 22, 2022, 04:59:10 am »

So it begins

It was a weird day here, it warmed up in the 50s, felt like Spring after the cold we had last few days. Get the feeling the rug is gonna be pulled out from under us soon. Keep safe gang, 5 minutes of some of those windchills is all it takes unless you got Roamer genes.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online roamer_1

« Reply #101 on: December 22, 2022, 05:04:42 am »
It was a weird day here, it warmed up in the 50s, felt like Spring after the cold we had last few days. Get the feeling the rug is gonna be pulled out from under us soon. Keep safe gang, 5 minutes of some of those windchills is all it takes unless you got Roamer genes.

Yeah that's the warm air getting pushed away as the cold front comes in. Up in here that cold gets stacked up behind the mountains and comes rushing in down the ravines and into the valleys... It can get to be quite a breeze, pushing the warm air out... then it turns cold and calms down as it settles in.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 05:05:56 am by roamer_1 »

Online mountaineer

« Reply #102 on: December 22, 2022, 12:26:35 pm »
It was a weird day here, it warmed up in the 50s, felt like Spring after the cold we had last few days. Get the feeling the rug is gonna be pulled out from under us soon.
I read that the temperature plunged over 32 degrees in one hour in Cheyenne yesterday. We'll get this weather tomorrow morning. It should still be 40 at midnight tonight, then everything falls apart - ice, snow, wind, plummeting temperatures. I probably shouldn't, but will stop at the grocery store today, where everyone will be buying milk, bread and toilet paper for these two days of cold. We'll probably have power outages, unfortunately. By Sunday and Monday, it should be tolerable. Wind chills are supposed to reach at least -15, but I recall enduring January 1994, when the actual air temp hit -23 and I stood out there waiting for a bus to go to work, so we should survive this one.  :laugh:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #103 on: December 22, 2022, 02:11:48 pm »
It’s super cold here

Perfect for hot chocolate
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 02:16:04 pm by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Idiot

« Reply #104 on: December 22, 2022, 02:38:40 pm »
Our forecast was no snow and 14 degrees today...lol.  It's snowing heavily and 14 now in Texas...ughhh!

Online roamer_1

« Reply #105 on: December 22, 2022, 03:26:11 pm »
WOOHOO! G'morning everybody!

-27 this morning. Who knows with wind chill  :shrug:

It's... crisp.  happy77

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #106 on: December 22, 2022, 03:50:46 pm »

It's... crisp.  happy77

Sounds like some good light jacket weather.  :bullie smokin:
The Republic is lost.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #107 on: December 22, 2022, 04:25:19 pm »
Sounds like some good light jacket weather.  :bullie smokin:

With the wind chill last night it was something like -50
Tried pissin off the porch, but it was still hitting the ground, so that's -30ish or less...  :shrug:

But throw a bucket of water in the air, it don't hit the ground.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #108 on: December 22, 2022, 04:33:04 pm »
NWS has boosted snowfall totals for Buffalo and Watertown to 3-4 FEET. Some forecast models show in access of 6 feet for Buffalo Southtowns.

https://twitter.com/ReedTimmerAccu/status/1605953373542289408

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #109 on: December 22, 2022, 04:35:17 pm »
With the wind chill last night it was something like -50
Tried pissin off the porch, but it was still hitting the ground, so that's -30ish or less...  :shrug:

But throw a bucket of water in the air, it don't hit the ground.

Done that a couple of times, really cool effect. Fun to blow peoples' and especially kids' minds with.
The Republic is lost.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #110 on: December 22, 2022, 05:10:16 pm »
Are you close by @jmyrlefuller ?  (I don't remember, sigh)

Winter storm prep: National Weather Service says 'once-in-a-generation' storm approaching Buffalo region

The National Weather Service (NWS) is describing the winter storm bearing down on Buffalo and western New York ahead of Christmas as a "once-in-a-generation" event.

The declaration comes as much of the Great Lakes region is under winter storm watches and warnings during one of the busiest travel periods of the year.

"This once-in-a-generation storm will produce high winds east of Lake Ontario Thursday night into Friday morning, then over a larger coverage of our region Friday into Saturday," the NWS’ Buffalo office said Wednesday.

"Winds could gust over 65 mph, leading to at least scattered power outages, if not widespread outages," it added...........

https://www.foxnews.com/us/winter-storm-prep-national-weather-service-says-once-eneration-storm-approaching-buffalo-region
Yes, but this should once again stay north of the Fuller homesteads for the most part. We'll get wind, cold and a few inches of white stuff but this will be even further north than the last storm as far as snowfall impacts.

They're comparing this to Blizzard of 77 conditions—but the lake was frozen for that event, so I'm not sure how much it compares.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #111 on: December 22, 2022, 06:22:32 pm »
@jmyrlefuller

Should we start a separate thread for this storm?

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #112 on: December 22, 2022, 10:04:50 pm »

https://youtu.be/V7wvxO4XOHY

One of the best weather people on the net

Offline libertybele

« Reply #113 on: December 22, 2022, 10:26:32 pm »
Yes, but this should once again stay north of the Fuller homesteads for the most part. We'll get wind, cold and a few inches of white stuff but this will be even further north than the last storm as far as snowfall impacts.

They're comparing this to Blizzard of 77 conditions—but the lake was frozen for that event, so I'm not sure how much it compares.

Stay safe and stay warm @jmyrlefuller
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Sighlass

« Reply #114 on: December 23, 2022, 01:07:59 am »
Temp is starting to drop here... so it begins...
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #115 on: December 23, 2022, 01:28:20 am »
For all the hype by our local weather stations..we got very little snow....but the temp is now -5 wind chill -29 with strong winds gusting to 40-50 mph..it's suppose to stay like this until Sat....
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

« Reply #116 on: December 23, 2022, 01:35:25 am »
For all the hype by our local weather stations..we got very little snow....but the temp is now -5 wind chill -29 with strong winds gusting to 40-50 mph..it's suppose to stay like this until Sat....

No snow is a good thing, the wind chill is pretty darn cold especially with those wind gusts .... brrr

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #117 on: December 23, 2022, 01:48:40 am »

:silly:

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #118 on: December 23, 2022, 03:50:07 am »
Temp has dropped 24 degrees in the last hour.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #119 on: December 23, 2022, 06:15:20 am »

It's... crisp.  happy77
Temps here in the teens and twenties below zero, with wind chills between -40 and -50 for the last few days. I haven't bothered to shovel the last 3 inches of snow that came blowing in. I really hate it when the ice in my moustache freezes to my beard...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #120 on: December 23, 2022, 08:06:20 am »
Temps here in the teens and twenties below zero, with wind chills between -40 and -50 for the last few days. I haven't bothered to shovel the last 3 inches of snow that came blowing in. I really hate it when the ice in my moustache freezes to my beard...

We're staying above -20 tonight... and my truck is plowed out... and my water is back on... Lost something electrical on the pump which blew the breaker, which means the heat quit, and it all froze up solid... No biggie to fix, I guess, but it took all day to  loosen up the pipes down there.

So everything is peachy. Tomorrow is single digits, the next day teens, heading toward 40s early in the week... I think I'll try and get a tan when that comes around.  happy77

First thaw of the year.

And I hate it when my mustache and beard stick to my parka. Stupid fake fur. Trying to get at a coyote to fix that... But meh - I am looking for a new arctic parka. One that goes half way to my knees... and is trimmed in real fur.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #121 on: December 23, 2022, 08:44:34 am »
We're staying above -20 tonight... and my truck is plowed out... and my water is back on... Lost something electrical on the pump which blew the breaker, which means the heat quit, and it all froze up solid... No biggie to fix, I guess, but it took all day to  loosen up the pipes down there.

So everything is peachy. Tomorrow is single digits, the next day teens, heading toward 40s early in the week... I think I'll try and get a tan when that comes around.  happy77

First thaw of the year.

And I hate it when my mustache and beard stick to my parka. Stupid fake fur. Trying to get at a coyote to fix that... But meh - I am looking for a new arctic parka. One that goes half way to my knees... and is trimmed in real fur.
I just wear an old M-65 with the liner, something warm for the hands, and a beanie (watch cap). If it gets cold out I'll dig out my old army cold weather parka with the coyote fur ruff, but we aren't there yet. I wish I hadn't lost my old Army Air Force Flight pants, like the waist gunners wore, but those are long gong, lost in a move. I do have some insulated FR bibs, from a frac crew hand via the pawnshop for $100, but they're heavy and cumbersome and I keep them in the vehicle as survival gear, mostly but will wear them if the weather requires and/or I'm out on site. Otherwise, it's a pair of thinsulate bibs I got from Sportsman's Guide years ago, and they do just fine.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 08:48:17 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sighlass

« Reply #122 on: December 23, 2022, 09:12:24 am »
Rain moved out with last 2 hours being mixed with sleet, then the stringy bands of snow moved in with the wind. It could snow a week like this and never add up to anything, but the funny thing was just how fast the roads froze and let the snow blow across it. In the 20s now, but expect single digits by morning, just a day ago it was nearly 60 degrees. My cousin has had fun covering his strawberry fields w/plastic, hardy plants (teens) but not single digit hardy. Can't understand the cold some of yall endure, the dog has her heat lamp going on the porch (always 20-30 degrees warmer than outside), but may take her inside (and she ain't a good inside potty-trained dog). Cats already decided to stay inside, usually let them roam at night. Left the water dripping in the wash room sink to keep pipes from freezing, also air-tighten the sub-floor vents. Carried a few buckets of heater coals to simmer in the shed to keep it above freezing (have an electric heater out there, but don't like to run it).

Stay safe gang.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 09:50:06 am by Sighlass »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #123 on: December 23, 2022, 09:27:43 am »
I just wear an old M-65 with the liner, something warm for the hands, and a beanie (watch cap). If it gets cold out I'll dig out my old army cold weather parka with the coyote fur ruff, but we aren't there yet. I wish I hadn't lost my old Army Air Force Flight pants, like the waist gunners wore, but those are long gong, lost in a move. I do have some insulated FR bibs, from a frac crew hand via the pawnshop for $100, but they're heavy and cumbersome and I keep them in the vehicle as survival gear, mostly but will wear them if the weather requires and/or I'm out on site. Otherwise, it's a pair of thinsulate bibs I got from Sportsman's Guide years ago, and they do just fine.

Bibs... I usually just wear insulated carhartts, and in intermediate cold, a big ol saggy set of woolies over em... but killer cold is an oversized set of carhartts... well walls, them are really, that I have carefully turned into tin pants, not to soak the insulation, with woolies inside, and regular pants and long johns and etc...

I have had those tins about half my life. they are pretty well shot now, but I can't get any that big anymore... Thinking pretty hard about hiring a seamstress. Them tins are hard to beat. They don't breath, but they don't get wet at all. And with cotton for wicking and all that wool inside em... well, it don't matter if they do.

I learned my lesson with parkas. This last one was always too short... Comes about half way down my butt... Plenty of room for layering, But between the short length and the imitation fur in the ruff... well... not right.

I will probably order one down from Alaska. My buddy up there has an Inuit wife that has always made my mukluks. I will probably have her make me a parka too... The real thing - custom fit - though that is going to cost a pretty penny.

And I know it is too much for working in yet... But as gimped up as I am, moving much is hard to do... so I get cold a whole lot quicker.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #124 on: December 23, 2022, 12:31:29 pm »
Front porch thermometer says 4 degrees. Wind is howling and there's about 1" of icy snow on the ground. I keep hearing thumps but can't tell what's been blown over.