Author Topic: Let Us Tell You Why the F-15 Fighter Is a Real Air Force Legend  (Read 139 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Let Us Tell You Why the F-15 Fighter Is a Real Air Force Legend
« on: December 15, 2022, 05:32:21 pm »
Let Us Tell You Why the F-15 Fighter Is a Real Air Force Legend
Story by Maya Carlin • 3h ago

Meet the F-15: In July, the U.S. military celebrated the F-15 Eagle’s 50thanniversary. For decades, the formidable fighter served as the mainstay of the Air Force’s aerial arsenal due to its versatile and cutting-edge capabilities. The all-weather, super maneuverable tactical fighter can penetrate enemy defense and outperform and out-dogfight any current adversarial aircraft. Its advanced electronic warfare system, hefty weapons payload and high engine thrust-to-weight ratio have made the F-15 Eagle one of the deadliest and greatest fighters ever developed. In fact, the Eagle possesses a truly stunning 104 to 0 kill ratio.

Several variants have emerged from the original F-15 platform, even inspiring the F-35C, which has flown operationally in the majority of wars the Air Force has participated in over the years.
Where did the F-15C come from?
The F-15C is an enhanced variation of the original single-seat air superiority fighter. During the mid-1960s, the F-15 Eagle became the product of the Fighter Experimental (FX) concept. During the Vietnam War, the Department of Defense recognized the need for the U.S. to possess a dedicated air-superiority fighter. While the F-4 Phantom could perform a small air-to-air role in its overall mission, the requirement for a fighter to feature unmatched maneuverability in addition to top-notch weaponry and avionics was only fulfilled by the F-15.

Designed by the defense giant McDonnell Douglas, the F-15 Eagle became the Air Force’s premier fighter instantaneously. In 1972, the F-15A took its first flight and was delivered to the 58thTactical Fighter Training Wing two years later. “Three hundred and sixty-five F-15As were built before production of the F-15C began in 1978. In January 1982, the 48th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron at Langley Air Force Base became the first Air Force air defense squadron to transition to the F-15.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/let-us-tell-you-why-the-f-15-fighter-is-a-real-air-force-legend/ar-AA15jqY2?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=e2b3f1dbcbc144e6bd5c57270822e02e
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson