Author Topic: 'Conservativism' is no longer enough; it's time for something new  (Read 13545 times)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: 'Conservativism' is no longer enough; it's time for something new
« Reply #250 on: January 11, 2023, 02:37:11 pm »
Conservatism is most importantly tradition though. Something I've come to terms with painfully in the past through years.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #251 on: January 11, 2023, 02:58:38 pm »
"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution, or that have failed in their purpose, or that impose on the people an unwarranted financial burden. I will not attempt to discover whether legislation is 'needed' before I have first determined whether it is constitutionally permissible. And if I should later be attacked for neglecting my constituents' interests, I shall reply that I was informed their main interest is liberty and that in that cause I am doing the very best I can."

Sen. Barry Goldwater (R-Ariz.), "The Conscience of a Conservative"

That has always been, and shall forever remain, my political rulebook.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

« Reply #252 on: January 11, 2023, 03:13:37 pm »
Conservatism is most importantly tradition though. Something I've come to terms with painfully in the past through years.

That's right too - In that tradition tries to uphold and hold onto things that are true... Often passed down father to son and mother to daughter.

It is no wonder to me that rural tradition matches Conservatism in most aspects, if beautifully and rather inelegantly expressed.

There is a place for tradition.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #253 on: January 11, 2023, 03:33:55 pm »
That's right too - In that tradition tries to uphold and hold onto things that are true... Often passed down father to son and mother to daughter.

It is no wonder to me that rural tradition matches Conservatism in most aspects, if beautifully and rather inelegantly expressed.

There is a place for tradition.

It's just, when you complicate life, everything else inevitably falls. Including wanting less government. The US industrialized, then deindustrialized, and is now going into the digital age, and the effects we're seeing are the trappings of that. We need to toe the line of these tech wonders we use (like what I'm using now), and thinking they're a panacea, and not realizing that we often lose our way from our base values with these tech toys.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #254 on: January 11, 2023, 03:42:08 pm »
It's just, when you complicate life, everything else inevitably falls. Including wanting less government. The US industrialized, then deindustrialized, and is now going into the digital age, and the effects we're seeing are the trappings of that. We need to toe the line of these tech wonders we use (like what I'm using now), and thinking they're a panacea, and not realizing that we often lose our way from our base values with these tech toys.

That's right. PRIMO post. The hubris of modernity is always the excuse - 'We are far more sophisticated than our fathers...'  It really does not matter which decade you point to - that is ALWAYS the excuse.

In the mean time, that hubris aside, The old folks will tell you that the old ways are true, and the only way... And it is always the petulance of youth that figures different.