Author Topic: Would you switch your dog to eating lab-grown meat?  (Read 996 times)

Online libertybele

Would you switch your dog to eating lab-grown meat?
« on: December 12, 2022, 10:21:22 pm »
No way. Normally we mix in a little bit of our dinner in with Geronimo's kibble or a small can of Beneful mixed in with his kibble.

Lab grown meat?  I wonder if they're labeling what the lab grown meat consists of?

Would you switch your dog to eating lab-grown meat?

Nicola Wordsworth says her pet Tibetan Terrier Bertie shares her dietary regime.

"I'm a a flexitarian - on-off vegan and vegetarian. I don't do dairy and I rarely do meat," says the 54-year-old from Kent.

"Bertie is on-off vegan and vegetarian too. And when he has meat in his food, I ensure it is sustainable, low mileage and good quality, same as for me."

A UK study earlier this year found that 61% of pet owners now want to know about the environmental impact of the food they buy for their animal. Given the footprint of the pet food industry, this may well be a good thing.

The global pet food sector emits more greenhouse gases than countries including Mozambique and the Philippines, according to one report.

The same paper also calculated that every year an area double the size of the UK is used to produce dry pet food for cats and dogs, to say nothing of wet foods.

Meanwhile, a separate US investigation said that cat and dog food is responsible for up to 30% of the environmental impact of meat production.

So is it time to take conventional meat off the menu for our pets, and instead switch to more sustainable alternatives, such as vegan foods, insects, and even lab-grown meat?

The latter is also known as cultivated meat, and London-based Good Dog Food is hoping to bring it to market in the next few years.

A joint venture between two biotech firms, Agronomics and Roslin Technologies, its research team is already growing lab-made chicken.................

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-63565576
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Would you switch your dog to eating lab-grown meat?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2022, 10:45:39 pm »
The left applying woke causes to our pets and forcing them to suffer is a losing strategy.

Let 'em go ahead and try, and watch what happens.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 01:57:14 am »
No. There's enough roadkill out there, my dog could eat venison.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2022, 02:11:39 am »
Nope. They always have kibble, but meals are meat or fish.

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2022, 09:41:57 pm »
Never!
What is the gospel? I’ll put it in a sentence.
The gospel is the news that Jesus Christ, the Righteous One, died for our sins and rose again, eternally triumphant over all his enemies, so that there is now no condemnation for those who believe, but only everlasting joy.
That’s the gospel. (John Piper)

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2022, 09:48:03 pm »
No, my dog deserves real meat because she is a good girl.

Lab-grown meat for pet food is normalization of lab-grown meat for people.

It's also an incremental step towards the Global Climate Change Utopia of a world without bovine flatulence.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2022, 11:38:15 pm »
If the dog likes it, it is priced competitively, provides the needed protein/minerals, and not forced on me as "do or die" then I am not opposed to trying it. Free market vs. Woke Market is something I take into the balance. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 11:39:05 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline berdie

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2022, 08:28:24 pm »
It's probably no worse than most of the kibble they are fed.

Back in the old unenlightened days dogs ate table scraps. It's only been recently that dogs and cats were recommended such "special" diets.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2022, 08:31:43 pm »
It's probably no worse than most of the kibble they are fed.

Back in the old unenlightened days dogs ate table scraps. It's only been recently that dogs and cats were recommended such "special" diets.

:shrug:

My dogs have always had dibs on scraps... Part of the partnership. If the dogs won't eat it, the chickens get it... if the chickens won't eat it, then the worms in the compost heap get it... Circle of life stuff, right there.  happy77

Offline berdie

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2022, 08:59:58 pm »

My dogs have always had dibs on scraps... Part of the partnership. If the dogs won't eat it, the chickens get it... if the chickens won't eat it, then the worms in the compost heap get it... Circle of life stuff, right there.  happy77

That's always been the way around here as well, @roamer_1 . :beer:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2022, 08:06:09 am »

Yeah..."Peaches" has dibs on the last bite of my sammich--how big that bite is depends on how well she behaves while I am eating. She gets scraps, too.

But kibble remains her mainstay, just too few scraps.

I should go scrounge some of the bambi meat on the roadside (if it's fresh it won't go bad outside in this weather), but time is a factor, too, and if she's like any other dog I've had on that diet, there is the gas factor, too.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 08:08:14 am by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2022, 08:20:14 am »
Yeah..."Peaches" has dibs on the last bite of my sammich--how big that bite is depends on how well she behaves while I am eating. She gets scraps, too.

But kibble remains her mainstay, just too few scraps.

I should go scrounge some of the bambi meat on the roadside (if it's fresh it won't go bad outside in this weather), but time is a factor, too, and if she's like any other dog I've had on that diet, there is the gas factor, too.

Never was much for the drool on my knee thing... So they always stay off a ways and I whip it at em... Chewy was a master at it... catching about anything right out of the air... Except potato chips. They are aerodynamically incorrect. They used to frustrate the crap out of him.

As for the gas factor... I never noticed the difference. Other than Ozzie vs Malamute, which the latter is invariably an order of magnitude greater in every way. Brown could make your eyes water, just about any time. And especially if there were guests.

What he ate didn't seem to matter much.

The ozzies are so much more bearable that it could be considered a feature.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2022, 08:30:44 am »
Never was much for the drool on my knee thing... So they always stay off a ways and I whip it at em... Chewy was a master at it... catching about anything right out of the air... Except potato chips. They are aerodynamically incorrect. They used to frustrate the crap out of him.

As for the gas factor... I never noticed the difference. Other than Ozzie vs Malamute, which the latter is invariably an order of magnitude greater in every way. Brown could make your eyes water, just about any time. And especially if there were guests.

What he ate didn't seem to matter much.

The ozzies are so much more bearable that it could be considered a feature.
Years ago, when we had Katie, (5/8 wolf, but I just told the city folks she was a shepherd cross), I'd turn her loose in the backyard with a rib cage after we'd boned the deer out. She could have knocked the proverbial buzzard off a honey wagon with the gas she produced, and she'd proudly deliver one of those with a long, drawn out hiss and then use that 3 foot brush of hers to distribute it...

Good thing she had the fur she did, 'cause unless it was well below zero, she spent those days outside for a day or two afterwards. She was set up for that, though, she'd just curl up, back to the wind, and take a nap...

I've been thinking on supplementing Peaches' diet, but I think I'll just bone out the roadkill and boil it up before I freeze it to cut down on the fart factor. (Gotta get a salvage permit from Game and fish, first). She doesn't have the pelt for staying outdoors, and cans of Lysol spray are not always available in these parts...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 08:34:23 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2022, 02:24:40 pm »

[...]with the gas she produced, and she'd proudly deliver one of those with a long, drawn out hiss and then use that 3 foot brush of hers to distribute it...

ROTFLMAO!! That is SO familiar... to include a tongue-lolling grin as Brown lay there, looking over his shoulder waiting for the reaction. He thought it was funny as all heck to stink me out... Though I have to admit the feeling was reciprocated. If I could get him to get up, snort his displeasure and leave the room, well that was not only funny as all get out, it was a nearly unobtainable badge of honor. and I mean that. That dog could clear 5 of 6 cowboys out of a line shack without even trying.

Good thing she had the fur she did, 'cause unless it was well below zero, she spent those days outside for a day or two afterwards. She was set up for that, though, she'd just curl up, back to the wind, and take a nap...

Yeah, that. Camping, Chewy was always grateful to get in the hot tent at night. Brown, or Mose, or any of my huskies would prefer the weather. -10 in the morning and I stumble out to do my morning business and gather up some wood, it was always a game to guess which mogul in the snow was my dog. All of a sudden one of the drifts would shift and out he'd come, shaking off the night. Perfectly happy. Though he would always come in the tent for breakfast. Go figger.  :shrug: :laugh:

I've been thinking on supplementing Peaches' diet, but I think I'll just bone out the roadkill and boil it up before I freeze it to cut down on the fart factor. (Gotta get a salvage permit from Game and fish, first). She doesn't have the pelt for staying outdoors, and cans of Lysol spray are not always available in these parts...

I fed em frozen fish, mostly. Sure and they'd get a boned out piece of deer or offal when the time came, but mostly the fish. Never cooked anything because the bones get brittle and they can choke on em. but anything raw, including chicken, was fare. Like I said, the level of gas didn't seem to make a difference.  :shrug:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 02:26:50 pm by roamer_1 »