Author Topic: GOP senators remove visa program for war interpreters from spending bill  (Read 368 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
GOP senators remove visa program for war interpreters from spending bill
By J.P. LAWRENCE 
STARS AND STRIPES • December 8, 2022

The end may be coming for a program that resettles Afghan interpreters who worked with U.S. forces during the 20-year-long war, after provisions for its extension were removed from the Senate version of the defense spending bill.

Republican lawmakers drew sharp criticism from Democrats and advocacy groups after the removal of language prolonging the Special Immigrant Visa program past 2023 from the National Defense Authorization Act text released Tuesday, a joint explanatory statement accompanying the bill said.

Currently, anyone who applies for a SIV by Dec. 31, 2023, will be considered.

https://www.stripes.com/theaters/us/2022-12-08/ndaa-afghan-siv-8343652.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: GOP senators remove visa program for war interpreters from spending bill
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2022, 11:39:03 am »
I'll bet there are large numbers of "interpreters" coming here through Mejico! *****rollingeyes*****
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2022, 04:28:49 pm »
@rangerrebew

This is sooooo wrong! Some of those people have spent years translating and helping US troops in Shitstainistan,and saved a LOT of US lives while doing so.

And you can bet the local ragheads haven't forgotten about it.

This program was started to help save the lives of the interpreters and their families that helped to save the lives of many,many US troops deployed into combat.

The freaking GOP FINALLY decides to do something,and it is the WRONG thing!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Hoodat

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2022, 04:47:19 pm »
If Republicans can remove a vis program for war interpreters from a spending bill, then why can't they also remove funding for Planned Parenthood?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2022, 05:02:14 pm »
If Republicans can remove a vis program for war interpreters from a spending bill, then why can't they also remove funding for Planned Parenthood?

@Hoodat

Good question!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!