Author Topic: DOJ officials call Biden's Griner, ’Merchant of Death’ swap ‘mistake,’ ‘madness’  (Read 748 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 December 10, 2022 3:30pm EST
DOJ officials call Biden's Griner, ’Merchant of Death’ swap ‘mistake,’ ‘madness’
Critics believe U.S. could have gotten Marine veteran Paul Whelan along with Griner in exchange for Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout

By Gabriel Hays | Fox News

A Friday report in the Washington Post noted U.S. Department of Justice officials viewed President Joe Biden’s prisoner swap of WNBA player Brittney Griner for dangerous Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout as a "mistake."

According to the outlet, people from America’s top law enforcement agencies have expressed concern that the "discrepancy of offenses by the two prisoners" meant that the deal was not a good one.

The Post detailed this gap in offenses, stating that Griner was detained for "possessing a small amount of cannabis oil. Bout, whose arms fueled conflicts from Sudan to Rwanda to Afghanistan to Angola, is nicknamed the ‘Merchant of Death,’ and his illicit transactions with violent regimes and militant groups earned him a 25-year sentence in federal prison."

Many in the media blasted the trade Friday, arguing that Biden should have received more hostages from Russia in return for such a dangerous prisoner. Some argued that Marine veteran Paul Whelan, who is still serving a sentence in Russia on espionage charges, should have been included in the deal.

As the Washington Post claimed Friday, top government officials feel the same way. The piece stated, "But the president also faced opposition from his own Justice Department, which viewed Thursday’s one-for-one prisoner swap involving Griner and the notorious arms dealer Viktor Bout as a mistake given the discrepancy of offenses by the two prisoners."

It added, "Within the Justice Department, many officials resisted the idea of trading Bout before his scheduled release in 2029, according to current and former officials."

The piece quoted an anonymous DOJ official, who said of Griner's release, "If she were my relative, I would want to do the swap. But trading a notorious international arms dealer for a basketball player is madness."

The Post noted that the State Department had been seeking a trade with Russia "involving Bout that would include the release of both Whelan and Griner." Though "officials familiar with the matter" said "Moscow refused unless the United States also secured the release of Vadim Krasnikov, a former colonel from Russia’s internal spy agency."

more
https://www.foxnews.com/media/doj-officials-call-bidens-griner-merchant-death-swap-mistake-madness

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

But the president also faced opposition from his own Justice Department ...

Well, that's a first.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
A Friday report in the Washington Post noted U.S. Department of Justice officials viewed President Joe Biden’s prisoner swap of WNBA player Brittney Griner for dangerous Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout as a "mistake."

WOW!

They are going to FINALLY speak out?????
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online LMAO

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Right_in_Virginia

"Biden spokesman John Kirby responds to bipartisan criticism over releasing Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout: "He would've gone free anyway in 2029."  (Video)

https://mobile.twitter.com/RNCResearch/status/1601962093875372033

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
"Biden spokesman John Kirby responds to bipartisan criticism over releasing Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout: "He would've gone free anyway in 2029."  (Video)

https://mobile.twitter.com/RNCResearch/status/1601962093875372033
John Kirby, professional , yeah so then why the rush to set him free now...for some WNBA DUUUUDE?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Am I the only one shocked that ANYONE prominent in the Defense Department is speaking out about this?

You can bet your bippy they will all be fired or forced into retirement come the next election if the Dims win.

Which means this is a seriously BOLD move for them to make.

I truly admire them for having the courage to do this.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Am I the only one shocked that ANYONE prominent in the Defense Department is speaking out about this?

You can bet your bippy they will all be fired or forced into retirement come the next election if the Dims win.

Which means this is a seriously BOLD move for them to make.

I truly admire them for having the courage to do this.
Did you see any names of these 'prominent' employees of the defense department? Of course not because they know they would have their asses handed to them by the people running the government, not Joey Boy, but the people actually running the government that made this POS deal.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Did you see any names of these 'prominent' employees of the defense department? Of course not because they know they would have their asses handed to them by the people running the government, not Joey Boy, but the people actually running the government that made this POS deal.

@GtHawk

You can bet your bippy that the DNC knows their names.