Author Topic: Is Joe Manchin next? Strategists say the West Virginian isn’t about to leave the Democratic Party  (Read 439 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

Arizona Sen. Kyrsten Sinema's decision to leave the Democratic Party raised immediate questions about whether West Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin might follow her out the door, since the two senators have often played a role in gumming up the congressional pipeline for President Biden’s more progressive policies in a 50-50 Senate.

But political strategists familiar with West Virginia politics say there's little to no chance Manchin leaves the party he's been with for decades.

"Joe Manchin will switch parties the day after the sun rises in the west," said one Republican strategist who works in West Virginia politics, adding Manchin’s connection to the party reflects a "deep sense of identity" for the senator.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/joe-manchin-next-strategists-west-virginian-isnt-leave-democratic-party

----------

But will he go Independent?
The Republic is lost.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Joe was too dumb to decide to do this on his own.

Sinema may have "shown him the way"...

Offline EdinVA

So if both Manchin and Sinema go independent, does that mean schumer looses the majority?

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
So if both Manchin and Sinema go independent, does that mean schumer looses the majority?

In 2023,and after Warnock wins runoff.... it was expected....

49 (D) 49 (R) 2 (I) Bernie and King who caucus with (D)  <This gives majority to D's 51-49>

After Sinema's move yesterday:

48 (D) 49 (R) 3 (I) Bernie and King  caucus with (D). Sinema has pledged to caucus with neither.   <If Sinema abstains on Majority Leader vote , there will be still a D majority 50-49>

Now say Manchin follows suit, and abstains on Majority Leader Vote.  We now have a 49-49 Senate.  VPOTUS casts deciding vote.

Basically Chucky prevails in any scenario.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 10:51:51 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online mountaineer

I honestly don't believe he'll leave the Dems. It's too ingrained in him. The Manchin name goes way back in WV politics.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
In 2023,and after Warnock wins runoff.... it was expected....

49 (D) 49 (R) 2 (I) Bernie and King who caucus with (D)  <This gives majority to D's 51-49>

After Sinema's move yesterday:

48 (D) 49 (R) 3 (I) Bernie and King  caucus with (D). Sinema has pledged to caucus with neither.   <If Sinema abstains on Majority Leader vote , there will be still a D majority 50-49>

Now say Manchin follows suit, and abstains on Majority Leader Vote.  We now have a 49-49 Senate.  VPOTUS casts deciding vote.

Basically Chucky prevails in any scenario.

Just saw another report where Sinema "WILL" caucus with the dims.  So who knows what the hell she will do.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EdinVA

I honestly don't believe he'll leave the Dems. It's too ingrained in him. The Manchin name goes way back in WV politics.

Schumer really hung Manchin out to dry.. It would not surprise me if he left the dems..