Author Topic: Arizona Sen. Kyrsten Sinema leaves Democrat party, switches to Independent  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Hoodat

Arizona Sen. Kyrsten Sinema leaves Democrat party, switches to Independent

Snejana Farberov  |  December 9, 2022  |  7:10am

Arizona Sen. Kyrsten Sinema announced Friday she had registered as an Independent, leaving the Democratic Party just days after it won a hard-fought run-off race in Georgia to secure 51 seats in the Senate.

“I have joined the growing numbers of Arizonans who reject party politics by declaring my independence from the broken partisan system in Washington,” she said in a op-ed for local media outlet Arizona Central.

Sinema, in a separate Politico interview published Friday, said she would not caucus with the Republican Party. If that holds, Democrats could still maintain greater control in the closely divided chamber.

Democrats had held the Senate 50-50 with Vice President Kamala Harris holding a tie-breaking vote.

Senator Raphael Warnock’s victory in Tuesday’s runoff election in Georgia had handed them their 51st seat.  .  .

https://nypost.com/2022/12/09/arizona-sen-kyrsten-sinema-leaves-democrat-party/

Republicans again outnumber Democrats 49-48.  But even if Sinema defects, the Dems can count on Murkowski and Romney to cover any void.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
Re: Arizona Sen. Kyrsten Sinema leaves Democrat party, switches to Independent
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 01:07:03 pm »
https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/09/politics/kyrsten-sinema-leaves-democratic-party/index.html

“I’ve registered as an Arizona independent. I know some people might be a little bit surprised by this, but actually, I think it makes a lot of sense,” Sinema said in a Thursday interview with Tapper in her Senate office.

“I’ve never fit neatly into any party box. I’ve never really tried. I don’t want to,” she added. “Removing myself from the partisan structure – not only is it true to who I am and how I operate, I also think it’ll provide a place of belonging for many folks across the state and the country, who also are tired of the partisanship.”

Sinema’s move away from the Democratic Party is unlikely to change the power balance in the next Senate. Democrats will have a narrow 51-49 majority that includes two independents who caucus with them: Sens. Bernie Sanders of Vermont and Angus King of Maine.

Yeah Baby !!!!

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2022, 01:33:35 pm »
In a natural extension of my service since I was first elected to Congress, I have joined the growing numbers of Arizonans who reject party politics by declaring my independence from the broken partisan system in Washington and formally registering as an Arizona Independent.

https://twitter.com/kyrstensinema/status/1601170136781664256
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 01:41:25 pm »
Now, if we can get Joe Manchin to switch to the GOP...

Yes: he's a genuine pain in the ass, but as he has richly demonstrated, he can be bought - then the Biden agenda is DOA. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2022, 01:44:34 pm »
Now, if we can get Joe Manchin to switch to the GOP...

Yes: he's a genuine pain in the ass, but as he has richly demonstrated, he can be bought - then the Biden agenda is DOA.
As one of his constituents, I keep complaining that Manchin is no Republican and we shouldn't want him to switch, but now I've decided what the heck, he wouldn't be any less a Republican than Collins, Romney, et al. After all, he does occasionally do the right thing.  :pondering:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2022, 01:49:08 pm »
Wow...so what does this mean re the control of the Senate?...is it back to 50-49-1?
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2022, 01:49:19 pm »
Wonder why?

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2022, 01:51:56 pm »
Hmmm she didn't answer Jake Tapper

After Tapper asked Sinema if her switch will change the balance in the Senate being 51-49, with the other two independents voting with the Democrats, Sinema responded, “I know you have to ask that question, Jake, but that’s kind of a D.C. thing to worry about.”

from
https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2022/12/09/sinema-im-leaving-democrats-and-becoming-an-independent-wont-be-stuck-into-one-partys-demands-of-following-without-thinking/
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

• Technical
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2022, 01:52:10 pm »

Also... can I just say not guilty?

Online mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2022, 01:52:19 pm »
Wow...so what does this mean re the control of the Senate?...is it back to 50-49-1?
Isn't Sanders still technically an Independent? I guess if he "caucuses" with the Dems, then they count him as a Dem. In that case, yes, I think that would be the current breakdown.

Offline WhatWouldReaganDo

Down the centuries, you have slurred the meaning of the words, "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty, to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution". These words and the words that follow, were not written only for the Yangs, but for the Kohms as well! They must apply to everyone, or they mean nothing! - James Tiberius Kirk

Online roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2022, 01:56:59 pm »
Wonder why?

Democrats need her now... And she has no obligation. She has already tended to lean right on some issues... If they fail to please her, their newly won advantage goes away.

That is a fairly powerful move.

Offline Mod2

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2022, 02:03:10 pm »
Threads merged

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2022, 02:05:02 pm »
Democrats need her now... And she has no obligation. She has already tended to lean right on some issues... If they fail to please her, their newly won advantage goes away.

That is a fairly powerful move.

:bingo:
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2022, 02:57:00 pm »
 :bkmk:
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2022, 03:04:13 pm »
I have joined the growing numbers of Arizonans who reject party politics by declaring my independence from the broken partisan system in Washington

Not to mention the broken partisan system in Arizona.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2022, 03:06:26 pm »

It's

R-49
D-48
I-3

It all comes down to whom the three independents choose to caucus with.  But considering that two of them are hardline communists, we can only hope that Sinema will vote with the Rs from time to time.

• Technical
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2022, 03:12:27 pm »
It's essentially still a 50-50 Senate which makes it a Dem Senate still with the VP tiebreaker. Not sure if there are any moderate/sane Dems we could scrape off somewhere who'd like to get off the crazy train...

Hope they start flipping through the rolodex...

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2022, 03:36:38 pm »
It's essentially still a 50-50 Senate which makes it a Dem Senate still with the VP tiebreaker. Not sure if there are any moderate/sane Dems we could scrape off somewhere who'd like to get off the crazy train...

Same here, but I'm not holding my breath.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2022, 03:41:22 pm »

Also... can I just say not guilty?

She does that crazy freaky librarian hotness to her.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2022, 03:42:16 pm »
Anyone else find that the timing of this announcement was suspect.  Wonder if she would have made the same decision if Walker had won.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2022, 03:43:41 pm »

50-50?

With her leaving, and saying she won't caucus with the dims, doesn't it make it 50-49?

Chucky sadly, still rules.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2022, 03:43:42 pm »
She does that crazy freaky librarian hotness to her.

She could hurt a guy with those thighs.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2022, 04:46:36 pm »
She would caucus with the dems in order to keep her committee assignments.  I'm not sure if this does anything besides open up 2024 for a republican (assuming they don't nominate Alex Jones or somebody like that).  Gallego probably wants to run as a dem. 

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2022, 04:52:21 pm »
 Sen. Kyrsten Sinema branded ‘the worst’ by Democrats after party switch
By Snejana Farberov   
December 9, 2022 11:14am

Arizona Sen. Kyrsten Sinema’s bombshell announcement Friday that she was leaving the Democratic Party to become an Independent sparked a fury among liberals who accused the iconoclastic lawmaker of being a self-serving traitor.

The first-term senator argued in an op-ed published Friday by the Arizona Republic as well as several interviews that she has “never really fit into a box of any political party” — and she vowed not to caucus with Senate Republicans.

Should she keep her promise, Democrats will still retain their narrow voting majority in the closely divided Senate.

In a video explaining her decision, Sinema said: “Registering as an independent and showing up to work with the title of independent is a reflection of who I’ve always been. … Nothing’s going to change for me.”

Sinema’s move sparked an immediate backlash from Democrats, who took to Twitter to express their anger and frustration with the newly-minted Independent.

The Arizona Democratic Party ripped Sinema for declining to scrap the Senate’s legislative filibuster to pass election reform legislation and for opposing increases in corporate tax rates, saying she was “leaving Arizonans behind.”

more
https://nypost.com/2022/12/09/kyrsten-sinema-branded-traitor-by-democrats/
Support the USO