Author Topic: DeSantis Steps Up State Aid After FEMA Denies Additional Funds to Repair Hurricane-Damaged Homes  (Read 604 times)

Offline libertybele

This area was devastated. I have yet to see one FEMA truck handing out food or water and I have yet to see one FEMA trailer to house people whose homes were destroyed. FEMA didn't come in to help out with shelters and the county emergency shelters have been closed.  People are staying in hotels or renting RVs and putting them on friends property and local stores and churches are handing out food and water.  So what the heck is my FEMA insurance $$ going to??  I didn't get a dime from FEMA!

DeSantis Steps Up State Aid After FEMA Denies Additional Funds to Repair Hurricane-Damaged Homes 

FEMA says Florida has received "more than $3.31 billion in federal grants, disaster loans and flood insurance payments after Hurricane Ian," including $1.19 billion from FEMA; $1.2 billion from the U.S. Small Business Administration; and $919 million from the National Flood Insurance Program.

But many Floridians are still displaced or living as best they can in damaged homes.

In a letter dated December 2, FEMA denied the DeSantis administration's request for millions more dollars to help those homeowners repair and rebuild the damaged homes where many are still sheltering.

The FEMA representative denied the request, saying FEMA has "limited authorities...to approve and pay for this type of work." And FEMA also said it could not be sure that the money "would achieve the intended outcomes for disaster survivors." Therefore, "your request is denied," FEMA told the governor's office.

"Unfortunately, we got word last week that FEMA had denied our request for funding our state-led housing initiative, citing their ‘limited authority,’" Gov. Ron DeSantis said on Tuesday. "We're not just going to sit there and take no for an answer, and we're going to figure out what we can do.".............

https://cnsnews.com/article/national/susan-jones/desantis-steps-state-aid-after-fema-denies-additional-funds-repair
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 01:56:59 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline EdinVA

So the feds have limited authority to hand out money if you have a republican governor...  9999hair out0000

Offline Hoodat

I just learned that FEMA will pay the funeral costs (including a burial plot) for anyone dying from Covid.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I just learned that FEMA will pay the funeral costs (including a burial plot) for anyone dying from Covid.

Up to 9K.  The program is still in effect with no expiration date.  We were able to collect over 8k when my dad passed on 11/11/21.  It includes some travel related expenses for family to attend.  Save your receipts.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.