Author Topic: SR-72 Darkstar – The Top Gun: Maverick ‘Mach 10’ Plane Is ‘Real’  (Read 2062 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
SR-72 Darkstar – The Top Gun: Maverick ‘Mach 10’ Plane Is ‘Real’
Story by Brent M. Eastwood • Yesterday 1:17 PM

More than 100,000 people at an air show in California were able to see the new mockup of the SR-72 Darkstar spy plane, which was featured in the blockbuster movie Top Gun: Maverick (it hit Mach 10 in the movie). The Hollywood version of the Darkstar sat beside the SR-71 Blackbird in October at the Aerospace Valley Open House and Air Show at Edwards Air Force Base, California. The SR-72 is known as the “Son of Blackbird,” so this was a generational public relations moment for the Darkstar program and Lockheed Martin Skunk Works.

Doubling down on speed The SR-71 in its heyday was an ultra fast, high-flying machine, but the stealthy SR-72 might eventually reach speeds of Mach-6, nearly twice the velocity of the SR-71. The Darkstar will be unmanned and capable of gathering the intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance data expected from a spy plane, but it might also have ground strike features.
Mix that with hypersonic flight, and you have a noteworthy craft for the U.S. Air Force.

Lockheed has developed a combined cycle dual-mode engine that has ramjet features. Dual mode means that a turbine engine cycle provides thrust from takeoff to Mach-3, at which point the ramjet takes over to reach Mach-6. The idea is to outrun enemy warplanes and air defenses.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/sr-72-darkstar-the-top-gun-maverick-mach-10-plane-is-real/ar-AA151pnH?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=404ba1c9f5c34d7e91eee6164f190278
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: SR-72 Darkstar – The Top Gun: Maverick ‘Mach 10’ Plane Is ‘Real’
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 03:56:49 pm »
This just raises the status of the SR-71 in my mind. Took them 60 years to build something better. Still boggles me they built that thing just 15 years after WWII.
The Republic is lost.