Author Topic: Hawaii remembrance to draw handful of Pearl Harbor survivors  (Read 456 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Hawaii remembrance to draw handful of Pearl Harbor survivors
« on: December 07, 2022, 05:36:40 pm »

PEARL HARBOR, Hawaii — A handful of centenarian survivors of the attack on Pearl Harbor are expected to gather at the scene of the Japanese bombing on Wednesday to commemorate those who perished 81 years ago.

That’s fewer than in recent years, when a dozen or more traveled to Hawaii from across the country to pay their respects at the annual remembrance ceremony.

Part of the decline reflects the dwindling number of survivors as they age. The youngest active-duty military personnel on Dec. 7, 1941, would have been about 17, making them 98 today. Many of those still alive are at least 100.

About 2,400 servicemen were killed in the bombing, which launched the U.S. into World War II. The USS Arizona alone lost 1,177 sailors and Marines, nearly half the death toll.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-navy/2022/12/07/hawaii-remembrance-to-draw-handful-of-pearl-harbor-survivors/

--------

They are almost gone.
The Republic is lost.

Offline mountaineer

Re: Hawaii remembrance to draw handful of Pearl Harbor survivors
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2022, 06:54:55 pm »
I've never been to Hawaii. Maybe next year we should go around this time of year, and I can promise we'll attend any service of remembrance that may be held - even if there's not a single survivor left.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2022, 09:03:06 pm »
I've never been to Hawaii. Maybe next year we should go around this time of year, and I can promise we'll attend any service of remembrance that may be held - even if there's not a single survivor left.

Visiting the AZ Memorial is an experience you'll never forget.  I've been there.

I took my son, born in AZ, to the Memorial and he asked me why our State Flag was so predominate.  I told him this Memorial was for the USS AZ, and he's a native son. Be proud, he's the only one there who could sat that.  He was.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2022, 09:11:23 pm »
Visiting the AZ Memorial is an experience you'll never forget.  I've been there.

I took my son, born in AZ, to the Memorial and he asked me why our State Flag was so predominate.  I told him this Memorial was for the USS AZ, and he's a native son. Be proud, he's the only one there who could sat that.  He was.

:patriot: :patriot:
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2022, 09:44:27 pm »
Sadly, That age group is now less than a 250,000 of the 16M who served.  In another 10-15 years, they'll all be gone.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2022, 09:57:19 pm »

I really want to see it.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2022, 10:04:30 pm »

So have I, and anyone who can make it around that nearby Submariner's Memorial with dry eyes is a better man than I.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2022, 10:11:03 pm »
I really want to see it.

The Memorial is built as a freestanding building.,not attached in any way to the ship.  To the back of the structure is a big marble plaque, with the names of all the Sailors entombed there.  There is still an oil slick from the bombing.  AFAIK, the AZ is still commissioned.

The presentation prior to taking the shuttle ride to the Memorial is/was very good when I last went, narrated by Susan Serandon.

The AZ was sunk by a lucky hit by the Japs, it drilled down to the powder locker and when it blew, a hush fell over the entire Base.  An unbelievable explosion.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: