Author Topic: The Mirage of Electric Vehicles  (Read 183 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Mirage of Electric Vehicles
« on: December 07, 2022, 12:44:03 pm »
The Mirage of Electric Vehicles 

18 hours ago 
Guest Post by Willis Eschenbach

For those who think that electric vehicles make a difference … think again.

The Department of Energy’s Argonne National Lab has just released a study showing that in 2021, US privately-owned plugin hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs) and electric vehicles (EVs) “saved about 690 million gallons of gasoline.”

But that is a huge exaggeration because fossil fuels provide 61% of the electricity in the US, and we have to include:

the inefficiency of burning coal or natural gas to make electricity (around 45% or so)
transmission losses (~ 5%),
losses in the inverter to charge the battery (another ~5%).
… so less than a third of that apparent savings is a real reduction in fossil fuel use, the equivalent of maybe 230 million gallons.

The Argonne report also says that from 2010 to 2021, EVs have saved 2.5 billion gallons of gas. So let’s be generous and say that in 11 years, EVs have saved less than a third of that, the equivalent of about 750 million gallons of gas.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2022/12/06/the-mirage-of-electric-vehicles/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson