Author Topic: The Army will finally stand up a laser-equipped Stryker platoon next month  (Read 143 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

The Army will finally stand up a laser-equipped Stryker platoon next month
Here comes the laser platoon.

BY JARED KELLER | PUBLISHED DEC 6, 2022 2:33 PM

An After years in development and months of delays, the Army will finally stand up a platoon of four Stryker fighting vehicles outfitted with prototype laser weapons next month.

The first prototype platoon, which will consist of Directed Energy Maneuver-Short Range Air Defense (DE M-SHORAD) Stryker vehicles outfitted with 50-kilowatt laser weapons dubbed the ‘Guardian,’ is “set to arrive” at Fort Sill, Oklahoma in January, a spokesman for the Army’s Rapid Capabilities and Critical Technologies Office (RCCTO) told Task & Purpose.

The Army’s RCCTO has “initiated the prototype New Equipment Training (pNET) and New Equipment Fielding (pNEF) for the first DE M-SHORAD prototype platoon,” the spokesman said.

Subscribe to Task & Purpose Today. Get the latest military news, entertainment, and gear in your inbox daily.

The fielding of the 50-kW DE M-SHORAD system comes after then-RCCTO chief Lt. Gen. Neil Thurgood promised in August that the new laser-equipped Strykers would be delivered to an air defense battery at Fort Sill “within the next 45 days,” or by October 2022.

https://taskandpurpose.com/tech-tactics/army-de-m-shorad-platoon-fielding/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson