Author Topic: Moscow’s invasion of Ukraine has hollowed out ‘alliance’  (Read 178 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Moscow’s invasion of Ukraine has hollowed out ‘alliance’
« on: December 06, 2022, 11:43:52 am »

Moscow’s invasion of Ukraine has hollowed out ‘alliance’
The Yomiuri Shimbun

15:48 JST, December 4, 2022

The latest summit of a Russian-led military alliance has highlighted the fact that the organization has become hollow and lost its substance as Moscow’s sphere of influence because its members do not share any ideals or values. This is the result of Russia’s reckless invasion of Ukraine.

The Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO), which consists of six former Soviet Union republics, held a summit in November. In an extraordinary development, the meeting ended with the members exposing divisions among themselves.

The Armenian prime minister, who chaired the summit, expressed frustration over the CSTO’s failure to provide military support when his country clashed again with Azerbaijan — which is not a CSTO member — in September. The prime minister refused to sign a joint statement for the summit.

Kazakhstan’s president called for Russia to end its invasion of Ukraine and seek a ceasefire.

https://japannews.yomiuri.co.jp/editorial/yomiuri-editorial/20221204-75015/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson