Author Topic: Thune calls Trump's apparent request to terminate parts of Constitution a 'golden opportunity' 2024  (Read 938 times)

Offline corbe

Thune calls Trump's apparent request to terminate parts of Constitution a 'golden opportunity' for 2024

by Brady Knox, Breaking News Reporter 
December 05, 2022 05:47 PM

Senate Minority Whip John Thune (R-SD) said former President Donald Trump's apparent call to terminate parts of the Constitution presents a "golden opportunity" for would-be opponents in the 2024 presidential election.

Amid a string of denunciations from Republicans, Thune stressed how much he disagreed with Trump's comments while arguing that it would become a centerpiece of the 2024 primary. His comments hinted at the Republican Senate second-in-command possibly throwing in his hat for the race.

“Of course I disagree with that. I swear an oath to uphold the Constitution, and it is a bedrock principle — it is the principle, the bedrock of our country. So I couldn’t disagree more,” Thune said, according to the Hill.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/senate/john-thune-trump-terminate-constitution-golden-opportunity-2024
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline cato potatoe

While this is true, it is also a talking point for his democrat opponent, should he manage to win the nomination.  Everyone running for office will be asked whether they want to terminate parts of the constitution, and why they support a candidate who does.  Or, following the latest excuse, whether they declare parts of the constitution "terminated by the libs" and henceforth inapplicable. 

A best case scenario is for Trump drop out before the primaries.  The longer his zombie campaign lingers, the worse 2024 is going to be.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Not a Trump fan, but to say equivocally that Trump is trying to terminate part of the Constitution isn't really correct.

At least when the word salad is extrapolated.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline libertybele

While this is true, it is also a talking point for his democrat opponent, should he manage to win the nomination.  Everyone running for office will be asked whether they want to terminate parts of the constitution, and why they support a candidate who does.  Or, following the latest excuse, whether they declare parts of the constitution "terminated by the libs" and henceforth inapplicable. 

A best case scenario is for Trump drop out before the primaries.  The longer his zombie campaign lingers, the worse 2024 is going to be.

Ok, so, then what is your best case scenario @cato potatoe ??  No one else has stated that they are running. The MSM is quick to list whom they think will run, but their list is not truly valid right now.

We have the usual RINO's lined up to destroy Trump along with the DEMS.

Though I believe that Trump's time is over and that the MAGA movement should be continued on by someone else -- I don't know of many waiting in the wings.  Two that I think are quite capable; Cruz and DeSantis, but only Cruz has stated an interest in running again.

Running on anti-Biden policies or thinking that things are going to be so bad by the time '24 rolls around is not a sure ticket into the WH -- we witnessed that during the recent mid terms.  There was no red wave., nor will there be on in the future.  Amnesty/election integrity will stomp on what should be a red wave unless something is done.  Also, nothing is going to change RINOville and the liberal leadership that has a stranglehold on the GOP.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 04:51:02 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline cato potatoe

Ok, so, then what is your best case scenario @cato potatoe ??  No one else has stated that they are running. The MSM is quick to list whom they think will run, but their list is not truly valid right now.

We have the usual RINO's lined up to destroy Trump along with the DEMS.

Though I believe that Trump's time is over and that the MAGA movement should be continued on by someone else -- I don't know of many waiting in the wings.  Two that I think are quite capable; Cruz and DeSantis, but only Cruz has stated an interest in running again.

Running on anti-Biden policies or thinking that things are going to be so bad by the time '24 rolls around is not a sure ticket into the WH -- we witnessed that during the recent mid terms.  There was no red wave., nor will there be on in the future.  Amnesty/election integrity will stomp on what should be a red wave unless something is done.  Also, nothing is going to change RINOville and the liberal leadership that has a stranglehold on the GOP.

Were Donald not sucking up the oxygen I think you would see a ton of candidates: Cruz, Haley, Pence, DeSantis, Pompeo, Hogan, Cotton, Hawley, Noem, Scott, Youngkin, Sununu, and half a dozen others.  Joe Biden at 82 is an inviting target.  The paleoconservatives are going to prefer certain candidates, but their ideas will be subject to critique, just as they are in the general election.  I don't think the party is going to nominate a RINO like Charlie Baker, and if it's another paleo they are bound to do a better job defending their positions than did Trump.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 05:49:08 pm by cato potatoe »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
cato:
"Were Donald not sucking up the oxygen I think you would see a ton of candidates: Cruz, Haley, Pence, DeSantis, Pompeo, Hogan, Cotton, Hawley, Noem, Scott, Youngkin, Sununu"

Cruz -- no
Haley -- you're kidding, right?
Pence -- more kiddin', eh?? Good joke!
DeSantis -- a good choice, but he'll do no better than Mr. Trump in the general election, and possibly a little worse.
Pompeo -- you're kiddin', I'm sure
Hogan -- that guy from MD? This is another joke, right...?
Cotton -- no
Hawley -- not really
Noem -- not ready, probably all looks and no "bite"
Scott -- you're kidding
Youngkin -- you're STILL kidding
Sununu -- who...? (I know who he is)

Offline cato potatoe

Cruz -- no
DeSantis -- a good choice, but he'll do no better than Mr. Trump in the general election, and possibly a little worse.
Cotton -- no
Hawley -- not really
Scott -- you're kidding

I did not endorse any of these, but each is preferable to Trump or Biden.  Admittedly my bar is pretty low:  none of them are thrice proven losers, none of them are 80 years old, and none of them want to terminate the constitution.   

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
Were Donald not sucking up the oxygen I think you would see a ton of candidates: Cruz, Haley, Pence, DeSantis, Pompeo, Hogan, Cotton, Hawley, Noem, Scott, Youngkin, Sununu, and half a dozen others.  Joe Biden at 82 is an inviting target.  The paleoconservatives are going to prefer certain candidates, but their ideas will be subject to critique, just as they are in the general election.  I don't think the party is going to nominate a RINO like Charlie Baker, and if it's another paleo they are bound to do a better job defending their positions than did Trump.

You bet.

We might actually have some conversations about things that are not "about Trump".

The sooner he shuts up the better.

I am not holding my breath.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
I did not endorse any of these, but each is preferable to Trump or Biden.  Admittedly my bar is pretty low:  none of them are thrice proven losers, none of them are 80 years old, and none of them want to terminate the constitution.   

100% agreed.

Offline libertybele

You bet.

We might actually have some conversations about things that are not "about Trump".

The sooner he shuts up the better.

I am not holding my breath.

As long as Donald Trump has the following that he does and sleeps in the minds of the leftists 24/7 he will continue to be in the headlines.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

cato:
"Were Donald not sucking up the oxygen I think you would see a ton of candidates: Cruz, Haley, Pence, DeSantis, Pompeo, Hogan, Cotton, Hawley, Noem, Scott, Youngkin, Sununu"

Cruz -- no
Cotton -- no
Hawley -- not really
Scott -- you're kidding

I find it interesting that none of these people appeal to  you @Fishrrman   Who do you think should be seated in '24 then?