Author Topic: Why Democrats are so optimistic about winning the Georgia Senate runoff  (Read 491 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Why Democrats are so optimistic about winning the Georgia Senate runoff
by Hanna Trudo and Al Weaver - 12/05/22 4:46 PM ET

Democrats are feeling optimistic about winning Tuesday’s Senate runoff in Georgia between Democratic Sen. Raphael Warnock and GOP challenger Herschel Walker, a victory that would give the party a 51st seat.

There are a number of reasons for the high hopes.

The party thinks it has a top candidate in Warnock, a reverend who serves as senior pastor at Atlanta’s Ebenezer Baptist Church, the former pulpit of Martin Luther King Jr.

Warnock won a runoff in 2021, and he received more votes than Walker on Election Day. 

Walker, endorsed by former President Trump, has been battered by controversies throughout the campaign, and his links to Trump may be hurting him more than they are helping him in the contest. 

While Democrats expect the final tally will be close, many in and outside Georgia say the early voting numbers and momentum from November also are highly positive signs for Warnock and his party. 

“I am very bullish on Georgia. No BS,” said Sen. Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.). “I know it’s close, but the early-voting turnout is very promising.”

Early voter turnout is key for Democrats because Republicans are expected to have an edge in Tuesday’s voting. 

A survey by Emerson College and The Hill late last week found Warnock with a 2-point lead. Among those surveyed who had already voted, Warnock had a 29-point advantage. 

“Looking at where most of the early-voting is happening … by my analysis and what I’ve read, looks really promising,” added Van Hollen, who chaired the Senate Democratic campaign arm during the 2018 midterms. 

Warnock won a victory in a Senate runoff election against Sen. Kelly Loeffler (R-Ga.) in January 2021, the same day Sen. Jon Ossoff (D-Ga.) won his runoff. That gave Democrats the Senate majority in a 50-50 chamber by virtue of Vice President Harris’s tiebreaking vote. 

A victory this year would give Democrats more wiggle room.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/3762698-why-democrats-are-so-optimistic-about-winning-the-georgia-senate-runoff/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Why Democrats are so optimistic about winning the Georgia Senate runoff
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2022, 10:33:29 pm »
The Dems may have more *wiggle* room in the Senate but they won't in the House....hopefully!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34