Author Topic: The Biggest Junk Science of 2022  (Read 165 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Biggest Junk Science of 2022
« on: December 05, 2022, 11:56:43 am »
The Biggest Junk Science of 2022
By Ross Pomeroy
December 03, 2022

Junk science – which can take the form of pseudoscience, conspiracies, acts that defy scientific evidence, poor studies, and even outright fraud – is an unfortunate facet of life, attaching itself like a leech to the important matters of the day. Hucksters use it to tout questionable products. Politicians use it for personal gain. Overconfident scientists are seduced by it. Well-meaning laypersons get caught up in it.

It is because of junk science's pervasive reach that each year RealClearScience highlights its most flagrant forms. Below are the seven worst cases we noticed in 2022. (Afterwards, feel free to check out our past countdowns from 2021, 2020, and 2019. Pseudoscience never sleeps.)

7. Theoretical Physicist Michio Kaku Thinks UFOs Are Aliens. UFOs, now technically referred to as UAPs (unidentified aerial phenomena), have been back in the spotlight recently as the government has declassified numerous videos from military personnel and even held public hearings before Congress. To be clear, all of the new UFO 'evidence' is as blurry and inconclusive as ever, but that didn't stop popular theoretical physicist Michio Kaku from asserting that the "burden of proof has shifted".

"Now they have to prove that these aren’t extraterrestrial," he said on The Joe Rogan Experience.

https://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2022/12/03/the_biggest_junk_science_of_2022_867647.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson