Author Topic: The Manhattan Contrarian Energy Storage Paper Has Arrived!  (Read 156 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Manhattan Contrarian Energy Storage Paper Has Arrived!
« on: December 04, 2022, 01:30:02 pm »
The Manhattan Contrarian Energy Storage Paper Has Arrived!
December 01, 2022/ Francis Menton

Today my long-awaited energy storage paper was officially published on the website of the Global Warming Policy Foundation.  Here is a link.  The paper is 22 pages long in the form in which they have published it plus another few pages for an Executive Summary and table of contents.  They have given it the title “The Energy Storage Conundrum.”

Most of the points made in the paper have been made previously on this blog in one form or another.  However, there is a good amount of additional detail in the paper that has never appeared here.  I’ll provide one example of that today, and more of same in coming days.

The main point of the paper is that an electrical grid powered mostly by intermittent generators like wind and sun requires full backup from some source; and if that source is to be stored energy, the amounts of storage required are truly staggering.  When you do the simple arithmetic to calculate the storage requirements and the likely costs, it becomes obvious that the entire project is completely impractical and unaffordable.  The activists and politicians pushing us toward this new energy system of wind/solar/storage are either being intentionally deceptive or totally incompetent.

If you follow the news on this subject at a general level, you might find this conclusion surprising.  After all, there are frequent announcements that this or that jurisdiction has entered a contract to purchase some seemingly large amount of batteries for grid-level storage.  The Report cites data from consultancy Wood Mackenzie as to announced plans or contracts for storage acquisition in all major European countries, and cites other reports as to announced plans from California and New York in the U.S.  The title of the April 2022 Wood Mackenzie paper on Europe certainly gives the impression that these people have the situation under control and know what they are doing:  “Europe’s Grid-scale Energy Storage Capacity Will Expand 20-fold by 2031.”  Impressive!

https://www.manhattancontrarian.com/blog/2022-12-1-the-manhattan-contrarian-energy-storage-paper-has-arrived
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 01:31:23 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson