Author Topic: Get rid of your TV  (Read 1048 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Get rid of your TV
« on: December 03, 2022, 03:58:36 pm »
December 3, 2022
Get rid of your TV
By Jerry Powlas

In my younger years, I had a dog named Kiki.  She was my best friend.  She was brave and loyal, and she raised my children, or at least, if she had been able to speak, she would have claimed to have raised them — and probably would have also claimed that they were her children, occasionally on loan to me.

She was a special dog.  She weighed about 150 pounds, and when she growled she sounded like a bulldozer pushing a scoop full of rocks up a hill.  She used the growl sparingly, but nobody in his right mind ignored it when she did.

I came to realize that she was smarter than many of the people I'd met, even though I couldn't give her that kind of credit publicly without offending some of those same people.

In one respect, she proved to be much smarter than most people: she didn't watch television.  The images weren't remotely interesting, and the sound was of no interest at all.  Over the course of fourteen years, I never caught her turning her head to see the screen, nor did she tip an ear toward the noise that came out of the box.  Like any good dog, she was keenly interested in the sounds around her, except for the sounds coming from the TV.

Sometime after she passed on, hopefully going to big dog heaven, where the squirrels are slightly slower, I gave away my television and never replaced it.  It has been a bit over thirty years since I've owned one.  This has been a great joy.

more'
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2022/12/get_rid_of_your_tv.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Get rid of your TV
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2022, 04:00:20 pm »
I prefer to know what's going on in the world instead of burying my head in the sand..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2022, 04:08:31 pm »
I prefer to know what's going on in the world instead of burying my head in the sand..

Me too, I reckon. I’m not sure what difference it’ll make in the end, though.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2022, 04:09:44 pm »
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 04:11:35 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2022, 04:12:15 pm »

I have gone quite the other way - I hardly look at any of it. What is aggregated here is quite enough... and only select items at that.

I am far better at the things I can actually do something about - And that is largely local. And I skip out on being all verklempt about the stuff I can't do a single damn thing about.

Makes for a far better life and lessens the boil in the belly.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2022, 04:13:36 pm »
I just guess I'm hooked on my TV. Just not so much what's "Over the Air" and programs "Over the Internet". I do watch sports over the internet. But mostly I watch lots of old, old, old TV series and old movies I have downloaded. I am currently watching old McCloud and Have Gun Will Travel episodes.

Online roamer_1

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2022, 11:40:47 pm »
I'm typing on the laptop down in the living room.
The only television in the house is facing me.
But... it's almost always turned off.
At least when I'm sitting here.

The ONLY times it's turned on is for Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune.
And even during those, I mute the sound during commercials -- nothing I want to hear (or even see, for that matter). None of those people look like me any more.
I'm browsing a bit here on the Briefing Room during the commercials, anyway.

I will make an exception sometimes when the cat is here.
For her, I'll turn on the tv, summon up youtube, and then put on "cat tv".
Better than most other stuff out there.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2022, 12:15:10 am »
I have gone quite the other way - I hardly look at any of it. What is aggregated here is quite enough... and only select items at that.

I am far better at the things I can actually do something about - And that is largely local. And I skip out on being all verklempt about the stuff I can't do a single damn thing about.

Makes for a far better life and lessens the boil in the belly.

I mentioned before I don't watch much TV at all.  These days I watch "Yellowstone" and "Tulsa King", my soap opera. No news.  I get my news mainly through here, Beck and a few other news sources; that's more than enough to get me riled up.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2022, 03:29:33 am »
I mentioned before I don't watch much TV at all.  These days I watch "Yellowstone" and "Tulsa King", my soap opera. No news.  I get my news mainly through here, Beck and a few other news sources; that's more than enough to get me riled up.

That's just it though... I've been 'riled up' for nigh on 30 years, for all the good it's done... These days, I guard my peace.

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2022, 03:53:24 am »
I have owned zero televisions since 2005, and hope to keep it that way. 

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2022, 11:40:21 am »

Well Put.  I think most Briefers are intelligent and mature enough to be able to filter the leftist garbage from the truth.

Don't need some "out there" op-ed telling me I need to start living an Amish life.

Secondly, I do sometimes watch non-conservative views, just to know how and what our enemies think.  I'll be better prepared for that conflict, if it happens.  Sad it has gotten to this point, but politically and idelogically in this country, there is not opposition any more.  Just enemies.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 11:43:53 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2022, 12:10:53 pm »
I have owned zero televisions since 2005, and hope to keep it that way.

Was that the year the disco'd production of the Cathode Ray Tube?  :pondering:
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2022, 01:43:20 pm »
Was that the year the disco'd production of the Cathode Ray Tube?  :pondering:
I don't think that happened until '09 or so. I still have my analog CRT I bought for college back in '06. It takes two adapters to be able to use it with my Roku (one HDMI to RCA-AV, then one RCA-AV to RF).

The bulk of my TV watching is football games and the weather. I like game shows. I did like Jeopardy! for the longest time, but it's obvious to see that the current casting coordinators are flooding the contestant pool with people from the alphabet-soup lobby deliberately. I'll often find myself watching the old episodes of The Price Is Right or Supermarket Sweep. Or an old college football contest from decades ago.

I simply see no appeal in the vast majority of product being put out there as "television" and I certainly wouldn't pay money to see it.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2022, 02:37:44 pm »
Unlike the author's pet, my dog was interested in the TV whenever an animal appeared. Then she'd try to find it when it moved off screen, usually looking behind the TV.
I suspect that the ardent television-watcher is subjected to a storm of propaganda from the left.  The lying, cheating commiecrats have control of almost all the media air time.  This control extends to radio and print, but the most damaging of these platforms is likely the television set.
Only if you let yourself be subjected to propaganda, that is. We watch news, sports, various documentaries and old Law & Order episodes, where we point out the propaganda (Dick Wolff must have hated pro-lifers) and laugh at it.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2022, 04:28:47 pm »
Unlike the author's pet, my dog was interested in the TV whenever an animal appeared. Then she'd try to find it when it moved off screen, usually looking behind the TV.Only if you let yourself be subjected to propaganda, that is. We watch news, sports, various documentaries and old Law & Order episodes, where we point out the propaganda (Dick Wolff must have hated pro-lifers) and laugh at it.

:thumbsup:

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2022, 04:37:39 pm »
Unlike the author's pet, my dog was interested in the TV whenever an animal appeared. Then she'd try to find it when it moved off screen, usually looking behind the TV.

I used to get so mad at those early Chewy commericals which would start with a loud door bell.  Seems every hour on the hour it activated our dog into a "woof woof" alert, and she would rush the front door.   :silly:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2022, 04:43:12 pm »
I have two modern TVs in my hose and pay $$$ for the right to watch several hundred channels on which I currently partake of exactly six shows on a regular basis.   :shrug:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2022, 04:48:40 pm »
I have two modern TVs in my hose and pay $$$ for the right to watch several hundred channels on which I currently partake of exactly six shows on a regular basis.   :shrug:

I've tried to obsessively figured out the best and cheapest way to get the best of all worlds.

I've gotten it down to about $30, by getting:

My own Sling account for $32/mo
And piggybacking my kid's HBO, Netflix, and Prime Accounts.

More than enough TV content than I'll ever need.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 05:05:09 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2022, 05:04:35 pm »
I've tried to obsessively figure out the best and cheapest way to get the best of all worlds.

I've gotten it down to about $30, by getting:

My own Sling account for $32/mo
And piggybacking my kid's HBO, Netflix, and Prime Accounts.

More than enough TV content than I'll ever need.

:thumbsup: