Author Topic: Lomborg: The Muddled Reality Of Electric Cars  (Read 1444 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Lomborg: The Muddled Reality Of Electric Cars
« on: December 03, 2022, 03:20:09 pm »
WRITTEN BY BJORN LOMBORG ON DEC 2, 2022. POSTED IN LATEST NEWS

Climate activists and politicians constantly tell us electric cars are cleaner, cheaper, and better. Germany, the U.K., and Japan, among other countries, will even prohibit the sale of new gas and diesel cars within a decade or two.

But if electric cars are really so good, why do we need to ban the alternatives? And subsidize electrics to the tune of $30 billion per year?

The reality is far more muddled than the boosters of electric cars would have you believe. Carbon emissions from an electric car depend on whether it is recharged with clean or coal power. [emphasis, links added]

Moreover, battery manufacturing requires lots of energy, which today is mostly produced with coal in China. That is why the International Energy Agency (IEA) estimates that an electric car using the global average mix of power sources over its lifetime will still emit about half as much CO2 as a gas car.

https://climatechangedispatch.com/lomborg-the-muddled-reality-of-electric-cars/
Would you be willing to fight and die for multiculturalism?  Would you put your life on the line for “Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity” (DIE); “Environmental, Social, and corporate Governance” (ESG); or other Marxist worldviews?  Would you go to war to preserve the right of delusional men to use women’s restrooms and dominate women’s sports?  Would you fight for any government that hunts down and imprisons J6 protesters as political hostages but celebrates Antifa and Black Lives Matter rioters who cause physical injury and property damage?

J.B. Shurk

Offline aligncare

Re: Lomborg: The Muddled Reality Of Electric Cars
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2022, 04:21:46 pm »
The odd thing about CO2’s alleged infamy is that it wasn’t earned through a coherent scientific consensus and rigorous testing, but rather through legal rulings surrounding computer models that ended in the Supreme Court deciding CO2 was a pollutant.  That’s the moment enviros waited for, the moment global warming got a new set of government teeth and morphed into the civilization-ending “climate change.”  And that’s why electric vehicles.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2022, 05:43:25 pm »
WRITTEN BY BJORN LOMBORG ON DEC 2, 2022. POSTED IN LATEST NEWS

Germany, the U.K., and Japan, among other countries, will even prohibit the sale of new gas and diesel cars within a decade or two.

@rangerrebew

This is already an approaching realty in the US.

Don't believe it? Go car shopping.

I recently had to buy a new car to make out of town dr appointments after my 03 $300 4 cylinder Ranger pu died on me.

Went to the local ("local" in this instance means 30+ miles from home) Honda dealer first. "We don't have any new cars in stock,but we are exepecting 23 this month. They are all already sold,but you can put your name on a list with a small deposit to hold one if one of the people who ordered one backs out."

Pretty much the same thing at the local Nissan dealer. Only new Nissan they had on the lot other than the smallest ones sold that I am too crippled to get into was a 100+ grand sports car,that would have been impossible for me to get into.

"We will be happy to order you one for future delivery,though."

Drove my the local Ford dealer and didn't even stop. Only new vehicles he had in stock were 1 ton and larger trucks.

Got home and looked  up the local Toyota dealer,and found my dream truck. Half-ton 2 wheel drive with the 4cyl engine,auto trans,short bed,and extended cab (NOT crew cab). Best of all,it was white (I live up a dirt road) and had tan upholstery.

Went to town the next morning to buy it,and someone had bought it the night before. The closest truck they had in stock was a 1998 model that was black with 100k+ miles.

Tried to get into the smaller cars they had on the lot,and couldn't do it without bumping my head. Kinda a disappointment because their smaller cars have good ground clearance,and the island I live on has the road flooded a lot of times.

Then the sales lady remembered the sales manager was driving a white 4 cylinder Camry,and I bought it even though it had black cloth upholstery. Had close to 600 miles on it,which didn't bother me at all because that means that if there WAS anything wrong with it from the factory,you KNOW the sales manager had it fixed. Had to pay full price,but they did give me a 500 dollar veterans discount,and got one of the lot boys to drive it home for me while I followed him in my 4x4 3/4 ton diesel pu,and took him back to the dealership in the car.

I am just too crippled up to fix them anymore,and since ALL my doctor appointments are at least 30 miles away one-way,I had no choice but to buy a new one.

Pretty happy with the Toyota,though. Damn thing gets 40+ mph in local driving,and up to 52 MPG on road trips out of town. My old Ranger only got 18-20 MPG. Of course,it was paid for,so that gas mileage didn't bother me.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2022, 05:47:14 pm »
Sorry. Forgot to make the point I was going after.

That being it is hard to buy a new car these days even if you have the money and want to buy one. The manufacturers are cutting back on the production of gasoline-powered vehicles at the request/demand of the gooberment in order to make the more expensive electric cars and trucks more attractive.

Not to mention the subsidies they are giving them for switching from gas to electric.

It no longer matters WHAT the consumer wants,the ONLY vehicles you will be able to buy new 3 or 4 years from now WILL be electric.

Ain't "Dim Democracies" GREAT!

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2022, 06:34:24 pm »
Sorry. Forgot to make the point I was going after.

That being it is hard to buy a new car these days even if you have the money and want to buy one. The manufacturers are cutting back on the production of gasoline-powered vehicles at the request/demand of the gooberment in order to make the more expensive electric cars and trucks more attractive.

Not to mention the subsidies they are giving them for switching from gas to electric.

It no longer matters WHAT the consumer wants,the ONLY vehicles you will be able to buy new 3 or 4 years from now WILL be electric.

Ain't "Dim Democracies" GREAT!

Got to disagree.  There will be one or two car makers with enough vision to continue sale of IC engine vehicles as long as there is a demand.  Those manufacters smart enough will rack up some nice profits, as the general populus realizes how much of a pain in the ass owning an EV will become.

Me?  I guarantee you I will never buy an EV.   I don't want the risk of this burning down my garage and house, while I sleep.

If I have to, I will drive my '07 Flex Fuel Nissan Titan till I die.  Sucker runs on pure ethanol if I choose so.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2022, 08:11:20 pm »
Got to disagree.  There will be one or two car makers with enough vision to continue sale of IC engine vehicles as long as there is a demand.  Those manufacters smart enough will rack up some nice profits, as the general populus realizes how much of a pain in the ass owning an EV will become.

Me?  I guarantee you I will never buy an EV.   I don't want the risk of this burning down my garage and house, while I sleep.

If I have to, I will drive my '07 Flex Fuel Nissan Titan till I die.  Sucker runs on pure ethanol if I choose so.

@catfish1957

Really?

What will you do when the replacement parts are no longer being manufactured?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 08:12:42 pm by sneakypete »

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2022, 12:15:28 am »
@catfish1957

Really?

They do have things called junk yards.  Plus, I am meticulous with PM's, and the vehicle isn't used or run that often anyway.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2022, 12:25:01 am »
EV cars are nothing but woke Leftist tricky dicky bait-and-switcharooney.

There aren't enough resources in the world to outfit the current US population, not to mention the grid, not to mention how much fossil fuel it will take to build them all, because alternative energy ain't up to the task.

Only the elites that can afford them will have them. The rest of us will have to find a way to survive.
The Republic is lost.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2022, 12:37:54 am »

They do have things called junk yards.

I was temped to write "roflmao",but am closer to crying every time I think about how damn near all of them have already disappeared thanks to zoinging laws and local retail auto parts businesses not liking competition.

I used to spend hours just wandering around in them and admiring the resting treasures. These days there ARE no treasures left to admire in most cases. They are stripped for the sellable parts within a few days of coming in,and are then crushed and sold to the Chinese.

The few that are still open and able to operate within local zoning laws,that is.

Plus, I am meticulous with PM's, and the vehicle isn't used or run that often anywar

When your generator or starter burns up,you will find yourself in a auto parts store buying a replacement part manufactured in China,not a junk yard.

Temporarily,anyhow. Within another 10-15 years there will be no such thing as an auto parts store. You will be required by law to buy your parts from a new car dealer that sells that brand of car.

Providing,of course,that the part is for an electric car. If it is a gasoline-powered car,your only option will be to scrap it. Not to worry,though. The Gooberment loves you,and will give you credits for the junk value of your old gasoline car in credit against the cost of a fine new electric Chinese car.

Providing of course you are approved to even own a privately owned and operated vehicle AND that there are still such things as gasoline stations,which I seriously doubt. Gasoline is dangerous stuff that can be used to make bombs,and our gooberment masters will take it off the market in order to protect us.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 12:43:17 am by sneakypete »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2022, 01:11:24 am »
I'll stick with my gas, propane and diesel guzzlers. I can still get parts for my 53 and newer vehicles. I have rebuilt my share of starters, generators, and alternators. They rarely burn up. It usually is brushes, the regulator or diodes that fail. EZ Peasy. I don't buy that parts houses and junk yards will all disappear.

Well. I am rebuilding an EV jeep for my grandson. Its powered by a wampus? 12Ah motorcycle battery.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 01:24:48 am by Elderberry »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2022, 01:25:40 am »
I'll stick with my gas, propane and diesel guzzlers. I can still get parts for my 53 and newer vehicles. I have rebuilt my share of starters, generators, and alternators. They rarely burn up. It usually is brushes, the regulator or diodes that fail. EZ Peasy. I don't buy that parts houses and junk yards will all disappear.
If nothing else, I'm hoping 3-D printer tech will be able to replace the parts that are too hard to find. If it comes to that, though, I won't be such a purist, and my vehicles may come to resemble something from a Mad Max sequel...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2022, 04:30:10 am »
@catfish1957

Really?

You're kidding, right?

My pickup is a 78 Chevy... Still doing fine.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2022, 04:37:16 am »
If nothing else, I'm hoping 3-D printer tech will be able to replace the parts that are too hard to find. If it comes to that, though, I won't be such a purist, and my vehicles may come to resemble something from a Mad Max sequel...

The main thing holding me back is a stick with OD. There's 5spds around, but boy are they hen's teeth. And they don't bolt to a NP205 without an adapter... It's coming on four grand hard cash, used, to make that conversion... If you can find it.

If I can get that done, I will go back to 1T/ 4.55 gears and a 205/208 doubler like I ought.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2022, 05:43:54 am »
@catfish1957

Really?

There are cottage industries that can completely retool Model A's and T's. 

You'd might be suprised what innovative American mechanics might be able to do if enough money is provided.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2022, 10:47:49 am »
EV cars are nothing but woke Leftist tricky dicky bait-and-switcharooney.

There aren't enough resources in the world to outfit the current US population, not to mention the grid, not to mention how much fossil fuel it will take to build them all, because alternative energy ain't up to the task.

Only the elites that can afford them will have them. The rest of us will have to find a way to survive.

Exactly.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2022, 12:27:02 pm »
The Government will try to make it difficult to own much less maintain a gasser.  Think of "Cash for Clunkers" but on a bigger scale.  That program took millions of vehicles not only off the road, but but millions of car parts that normally would have been salvaged.  CFC dictated those cars had to have their engines destroyed and the car was crushed.

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2022, 01:15:33 pm »
There are cottage industries that can completely retool Model A's and T's. 

Not as many as there used to be. The generation that loved A's and T's has mostly died off,and you couldn't give one to most car enthusiasts in their 20's. "Old Cars for hot rods" means 60's Mustangs and Camaro's to them.

You'd might be suprised what innovative American mechanics might be able to do if enough money is provided.

Sure,if you are willing to spend stupid money for something you won't legally be able to drive,search one of these people out and offer them cash in advance,and they might be willing to do it for you. ALL the local restoration shops  around here have gone out of the restoration business,and IF still open,doing general auto repairs on modern cars.

Some will take in antiques,like my 31 Plymouth coupe. One has had thte coupe for over a year now,trying to find someone to build a repo gas tank. Or SAYING they are trying. I think what they are really doing in using it to bring in business because most people think that they must be ace mechanics if they restore cars. Can't take it anywhere else because there ISN'T anywhere else to take it and I am no longer able to do the work myself.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2022, 01:16:43 pm »
The Government will try to make it difficult to own much less maintain a gasser.  Think of "Cash for Clunkers" but on a bigger scale.  That program took millions of vehicles not only off the road, but but millions of car parts that normally would have been salvaged.  CFC dictated those cars had to have their engines destroyed and the car was crushed.

@Wingnut

Not only that,but where are you going to buy gas once the gooberment mandates all-electric vehicles,and all the gas stations close because they can no longer buy gas to sell?

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2022, 03:00:33 pm »
@Wingnut

Not only that,but where are you going to buy gas once the gooberment mandates all-electric vehicles,and all the gas stations close because they can no longer buy gas to sell?

Ain't gunna happen.

Nearly half of U.S. investors say clean energy next dot-com crash

https://irei.com/publications/article/nearly-half-u-s-investors-say-clean-energy-next-dot-com-crash/

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2022, 03:49:03 pm »
Ain't gunna happen.

https://irei.com/publications/article/nearly-half-u-s-investors-say-clean-energy-next-dot-com-crash/

Man will I ever throw a party!!!!!!   

As will the entire Climate Change Cult Scam

Champagne for all!!!!!!! :beer:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2022, 03:54:36 pm »
Ain't gunna happen.

I think that's right. This is entirely unsustainable.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2022, 07:50:30 pm »
Ain't gunna happen.

@Elderberry

I hope you are right,but it is CLEARLY what the government wants to see happen,and THEY are the ones that control what happens with the economy.

FACT:1: The rabid internationalists (leftists/globalists) ARE in charge of not only America,but pretty much every nation in the world not controlled by outright Communists.

FACT 2:  All it would take to destroy the gasoline industry forever would be a government mandate for electric cars and trucks beginning next year,and within a few months the gas stations would start to shut down because the supply of gas has been shut down and they still have overhead to pay.

Once shut down,they ain't coming back. Truth to tell,Horseless Carriages have a better chance of coming back because damn near everyone will be forced to live in cities,and there will be no parking for anyone but the wealthy.

Honestly,can you think of a better way to destroy the freedoms we have in America than to take away our mobility and force us into the Equivalent of "Khrushchev Apartment Blocks situatiated close to where we will be assigned to work"?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2022, 07:55:48 pm »
I think that's right. This is entirely unsustainable.

@roamer_1

Not when it is subsidized by tax dollars to start,and then the battery charging prices controlled by the gooberment. It will be cheap at first to charge your batteries,but as gasoline and diesel cars and trucks get crushed due to gasoline and diesel becoming insanely expensive and hard to find,the prices will go up to the point where the  "blue collar class" just can't afford to buy it.

Remember,it is neither practicality OR economics "driving" this to make it happen. It is politicians seeking the ultimate power for themselves,and taking away our mobility.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2022, 08:04:03 pm »
@roamer_1

Not when it is subsidized by tax dollars to start,and then the battery charging prices controlled by the gooberment. It will be cheap at first to charge your batteries,but as gasoline and diesel cars and trucks get crushed due to gasoline and diesel becoming insanely expensive and hard to find,the prices will go up to the point where the  "blue collar class" just can't afford to buy it.

Remember,it is neither practicality OR economics "driving" this to make it happen. It is politicians seeking the ultimate power for themselves,and taking away our mobility.

NO... Two laws will govern this:
The law of diminishing returns
and the law of unintended consequences.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2022, 08:14:13 pm »
Ain't gunna happen.

@Elderberry

Well,technically you are right. There will be a few gas stations open for several years so the elites can fuel up their Mercedes and Porsches,but can YOU afford 20 bucks or more for a gallon of gas?

THEY can,and the high gas prices and the fact that THEY can afford to pay it will just puff up their egos,and in their minds,their social status.

After all,they are wealthy and connected,and will have a way to write it off their taxes.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 08:15:24 pm by sneakypete »