Author Topic: Congress wants to arm Taiwan, but hasn’t figured out how to pay for it  (Read 290 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Congress wants to arm Taiwan, but hasn’t figured out how to pay for it
By Joe Gould and Bryant Harris
 Dec 1, 03:21 PM

WASHINGTON ― Lawmakers eager to boost security aid to Taiwan may soon authorize as much as $10 billion in new State Department financing for Taipei to buy U.S. weaponry. But it’s an open question whether appropriators will approve the actual dollars.

A soon-to-be-released draft 2023 National Defense Authorization Act would authorize $2 billion in aid per year over five years and another $1 billion annually in equipment from U.S. military stockpiles.

But while authorization bills can create programs, only appropriations bills have the legal authority to spend U.S. funds. And key Democratic appropriators are expressing misgivings. Given the steady pressure from Republicans to lower the State Department’s budget, some worry adding new spending on Taiwan aid would mean cuts for other areas of diplomacy, potentially including security aid to other countries.

“Some of us, including myself, expressed the concern that if we put out the big authorizing number on Taiwan, but could not meet it [with appropriations], that would send the wrong signal,” Sen. Chris Van Hollen, D-Md., who sits on the Foreign Relations Committee and the State Department appropriations panel, told Defense News. “We were also concerned that unless we increased the overall authorization for foreign assistance, it would eat into other important security assistance programs.”

https://www.defensenews.com/congress/2022/12/01/congress-wants-to-arm-taiwan-but-hasnt-figured-out-how-to-pay-for-it/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Congress wants to arm Taiwan, but hasn’t figured out how to pay for it
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2022, 12:33:48 pm »
You know those 2 1/2 million illegals allowed in this country, terrorists and all - - -

Or they can use the tried and tested way congress usually handles this, print more money. :im waiting:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Congress wants to arm Taiwan, but hasn’t figured out how to pay for it
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2022, 02:11:19 pm »
Well you blew it all down the Ukraine rabbit hole, so there you are.
The Republic is lost.