Author Topic: U.S. Military Bases Are Literally Falling Apart  (Read 134 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
U.S. Military Bases Are Literally Falling Apart
« on: December 02, 2022, 09:49:26 pm »
U.S. Military Bases Are Literally Falling Apart

ByMackenzie EaglenPublished6 hours ago

F-35An F-35A Lightning II pilot turns his aircraft along the yellow taxi line on the 33rd Fighter Wing flightline at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla. (U.S. Air Force photo by Samuel King Jr./Released)
Today, the US Navy maintains some of their fifth-generation fighters with advanced avionics in pre-first-generation—World War II—aviation maintenance facilities. One naval air station in the U.S. has power for just two of their eight hangar bays for aircraft upkeep.

This is due to more than one-third of the Navy’s aviation depot square footage having been built in the 1940s, according to the GAO. The same organization found that outdated facilities have “electrical systems built for different weapon systems, historical preservation requirements, and suboptimal layouts.” Their bottom line: it is difficult to maintain complex, modern weapon systems with facilities that were designed for less complex systems.

Seems pretty obvious. Yet the US military’s hangers, barracks, motor pools and depots that help keep the military running and ensure readiness are falling apart. One of the primary reasons for this is that money for facilities is a favored “bill payer” when budgets are squeezed.

The result is a deferred modernization bill of bases and places across the military that only ever grows. A Government Accountability Office (GAO) report published earlier this year notes that the cost of deferred maintenance for the services and select defense agencies is a whopping $130 billion in 2020.

https://www.19fortyfive.com/2022/12/u-s-military-bases-are-literally-falling-apart/
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 09:50:32 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: U.S. Military Bases Are Literally Falling Apart
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 09:54:00 pm »
You don't suppose, by any chance, the sh*tty condition of bases, ships, planes, medical facilities, preventative maintenance, etc., has anything to do with their lousy recruiting, do you? :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson