Author Topic: Feds Want To Put Tracking Devices On Big Rigs; Gov’t Could Access Data Whenever They Want  (Read 559 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Feds Want To Put Tracking Devices On Big Rigs; Gov’t Could Access Data Whenever They Want
Published on December 1, 2022
December 2, 2022
in Wyoming Trucking/News/Transportation

***For All Things Wyoming, Sign-Up For Our Daily Newsletter***

By Kevin Killough, energy reporter
Kevin@CowboyStateDaily.com

The U.S. Department of Transportation is proposing a new rule that would require all commercial trucks used for interstate commerce to install tracking devices that would transmit location data and other personal information to police whenever law enforcement requests it. 

Roger King, owner of Cowboy State Trucking in Kemmerer, said it’s hard enough to find drivers, and putting federal tracking devices on trucks would be one more reason for people to find other jobs. 

“Nobody likes Big Brother looking at your every move,” King said in reference to the government surveillance figure in the George Orwell novel “1984.”

King said trucking companies have a financial interest to operate safely and follow the law, so he doesn’t see a need for the proposed law. 

Already Highly Regulated

According to the Federal Register, the growth of the commercial vehicle industry outpaces law enforcement resources, so the tracking devices would allow law enforcement to “to make timely and informed decisions to support their mission-critical operations.”

The trucking industry is highly regulated, however, and drivers and the companies they work for already have to provide a wealth of information to regulators. This includes roadside inspections at ports of entry, and drug testing and thorough background checks of drivers. 

more
https://cowboystatedaily.com/2022/12/01/feds-want-to-put-tracking-devices-on-big-rigs-govt-could-access-data-whenever-they-want/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

I cannot imagine what info the feds believe they need of truck drivers that they don't already have. This is ridiculous.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline berdie

I cannot imagine what info the feds believe they need of truck drivers that they don't already have. This is ridiculous.

Agreed. And if I own my own rig it could be a huuuuge problem.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
If you run a railroad engine for the major carriers, more than just the engine is "tracked".

The cabs now have interior cameras that record you all the time.

The engines can be monitored in real time for such things as speed, throttle position, use of the brakes, etc.

Make a move they don't like, and they could be callin' you out on it.
Doesn't even have to be "against the rules".
For instance, use the air brakes instead of the dynamic brake, and they could "take exception" (using air uses more fuel).

It wasn't like that when I worked there (although there were event recorders on the engines, and they did check you on that from time to time).
Wouldn't want to do it now.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Between Onstar and similar systems and snooper add-ons that promise insurance savings, not to mention the ubiquitous cell phone, pretty much everyone is tracked anyway.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DB

A very dark world is rapidly approaching and the young are embracing it with open arms.

Offline libertybele

Where are the Teamsters or have they become so weakened that they are no longer relevant?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online mountaineer

Where are the Teamsters or have they become so weakened that they are no longer relevant?
I don't suppose the members are very happy about this, but the fatcat union bosses are not about to challenge anything the Biden administration does.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

I don't suppose the members are very happy about this, but the fatcat union bosses are not about to challenge anything the Biden administration does.

For being so evil, old and senile, Joe has become one powerful p.o.s.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
libertybele:
For being so evil, old and senile, Joe has become one powerful p.o.s.

All those promises of Joe was going to make everything so much better, and then blanket denials for Joe-demented and more innocent that saints.  Were they evil people, wolves in sheep's clothing, or just amazingly stupid on a very consistent basis?  Obsessive control people can't obsess enough until they over control and really screw things up, often beyond repair.  They call them bureaucrats others call them obsessive control fools.  We may never find out which is most appropriate.
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions