Author Topic: NIH Funding Study at Old Dominion Univ on Fat Lesbians (my title)  (Read 1014 times)

Online mountaineer

As this story came to me via twitter, it didn't really have a headline.

NIH is funding an Old Dominon University study on "reducing obesity disparities in racially diverse lesbian and heterosexual women".

https://twitter.com/RandoLand_us/status/1597688941704253450
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

Re: NIH Funding Study at Old Dominion Univ on Fat Lesbians (my title)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 02:12:08 pm »
The actual abstract on file at NIH is no less ludicrous.
Examining binge eating in daily life: Working toward reducing obesity disparities in racially diverse lesbian and heterosexual women
Project Number5R01MD012598-03
Contact PI/Project Leader HERON, KRISTIN E
Awardee Organization OLD DOMINION UNIVERSITY

Abstract - Young adult lesbian women are twice as likely to be overweight and obese as their heterosexual peers and Black women are similarly more likely to be obese than White women. These minority women are thus more prone to obesity-related comorbidities including heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes, which are leading causes of death in the U.S. Binge eating behaviors (overeating, loss of control of eating) contribute to obesity and are particularly prevalent in young adult women.

Despite well documented disparities in binge eating, little is known about contributing factors in lesbian women, and in particular racial minorities. In studies of young women where sexual orientation is not known, assessed, or reported (hereafter referred to as general samples), research demonstrates binge eating is associated with affective states, social processes, and health behaviors.  ...
Here's a possibility: young lesbian women overeat because, deep down, they really don't like themselves. Ms. Heron should have figured that out by now, given her "expertise":
Expertise
Psychology
    clinical health psychology, behavioral medicine
Research Interests

Brief description: eating behaviors and body image in young women, men, sexual minorities (LGBT populations), and racial minorities; physical activity assessment and intervention; ecological momentary assessment (EMA) and intervention (EMI); mobile technology; other health behaviors as they apply to EMA/EMI
That aspect hasn't come up yet, that people with low self-esteem and depression self-medicate by overeating? Maybe she should watch a few episodes of "600 Pound Life," or whatever it's called.

We taxpayers have funded her to the tune of $305,576, so far. That barely bought enough pizza for the research crew.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum

Offline rustynail

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 11:04:31 pm »
Sponsored by Rug Doctor.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 11:06:28 pm »
This lady objects:
That's the most exercise she's gotten in 15 years. All upper body, but it's a start.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2022, 03:03:55 pm »
DAYUM!

Just how freaking lonely do you have to be in order to study fat lesbians?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2022, 03:04:35 pm »
DAYUM!

Just how freaking lonely do you have to be in order to study fat lesbians?
And do you have to wash out your eyes at the end of each day?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2022, 03:14:14 pm »
And do you have to wash out your eyes at the end of each day?

@mountaineer

You meant to write "poke" or "put" instead of "wash",didn't you?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2022, 07:25:53 pm »
That's the most exercise she's gotten in 15 years. All upper body, but it's a start.
I want to know who manufactured that remarkable chair.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2022, 08:04:07 pm »

@mountaineer

The truth is I really feel sorry for her.  I have no doubt her parents spoiled her by giving her plenty of ice cream and candy as a child so "show they loved her",and it ended up destroying her life. It is practically impossible for people as fat as her to lose down to normal weight as an adult because by then they have psychological problems.

I became a REALLY fat kid around the time I was in the 2nd grade,and it happened because my father got the first good job in his life and felt financially comfortable. This caused him to want to show off by buying his kid a gallon of ice cream and a couple of cheese burgers to eat for dinner every night. I washed it down with non-diet Pepsi.

By the time I realized what was happening I was too fat to play sports anymore,and all the other kids were making fun of me. I just happened by pure accident to be one of those kids that gets mad and does something about it,and started refusing to eat that stuff. It only took a week or so for my father to quit buying it,and in a few months, I was back down to my normal weight and playing baseball again.

Somehow or another  I was lucky enough that I didn't get mad at the other kids,I got mad at ME for allowing it to happen.

This girl,being a girl and most likely never encouraged to play sports,wasn't as lucky as I was,and now she is going to be paying for it for the rest of her abnormally short and angry life.