Author Topic: From giant kites to foldable wings, here's what container ships could look like by 2050 as companies  (Read 217 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
From giant kites to foldable wings, here's what container ships could look like by 2050 as companies race to decarbonize their supply chains
Story by htowey@insider.com (Hannah Towey) • Monday

Shipping giants are racing to find scalable green alternatives to gas-guzzling container ships.
From rotor sails and giant kites to retractable wings, some firms are attempting to re-invent the sail.
Other shipping giants are betting big on green methanol fuel derived from agricultural waste.
With pressure from regulators to decarbonize international shipping, companies big and small are racing to identify green alternatives to the gas-guzzling container ships that account for an estimated 3% of global greenhouse emissions.

Many of the ideas floating around today leverage some form of high-tech sail, a futuristic take on the wind-powered voyages that have transported goods for as long as global trade has existed.

Geir Fagerheim, SVP of Marine Operations at the Norwegian shipping company Wallenius Wilhelmsen, told Insider that a variety of factors need to be considered when designing a wind-powered cargo ship, including safety, functionality, crew comfort, and most importantly, speed.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/from-giant-kites-to-foldable-wings-here-s-what-container-ships-could-look-like-by-2050-as-companies-race-to-decarbonize-their-supply-chains/ar-AA14rTBk?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=3145ad96d63f4a5df3d76a2f9fb66032
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 11:25:51 am by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson