Author Topic: House GOP Group Hints They Will Deal With Democrats to Elect a House Speaker if Kevin McCarthy Doesn  (Read 811 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
House GOP Group Hints They Will Deal With Democrats to Elect a House Speaker if Kevin McCarthy Doesn't Win
By streiff | 6:00 PM on November 30, 2022

The House has a narrow (currently a 220-213 Republican majority that should be finalized at 222-213), and this slim majority has given the Republicans a unique opportunity to beclown themselves and sow doubt as to their ability to organize something as simple as a two-car funeral.

The problem facing the new House majority is the same one that confronted Nancy Pelosi in the outgoing Congress. It takes 218 votes to pass a bill. If five Republicans defect, the bill goes nowhere unless the GOP starts corralling Democrat votes. Passing a bill with opposing party votes because you can’t get your own members to fall in line is not a good look.

To do what needs to be done, the GOP needs a Speaker who is respected or at least feared, on both sides of the aisle. So naturally, Kevin McCarthy was the guy they chose. McCarthy was challenged for the position by Arizona Representative Andy Biggs, and McCarthy won handily by a vote of 188-31.

Oddly enough, in this current environment, a guy like McCarthy might not be the worst choice because he can probably get 218 GOP votes on most things, and he has enough rapport with the half-dozen sane Democrats remaining in the House that he might be able to pull off the illusion of bipartisanship on the odd occasion.

But to get the Speaker’s gavel, McCarthy not only needed a majority of his caucus, but he also needs a majority in the House. That’s where his problem comes in.

The House Freedom Caucus is attempting to trade its support for a guarantee by McCarthy that he will adopt a package of rule changes that will take power from a handful of members close to McCarthy and allow more representatives to participate. For instance, they want the committees to elect their own chairmen rather than having the Speaker appoint them.

Enact a “majority of the majority” rule that legislation passed in a Republican House should be supported by a majority of House Republicans to prevent leadership from cutting deals with Democrats if a bill is not supported by conservatives
        Restore independence of committees by electing committee chairs based on qualifications and effectiveness
        Diversify the Steering Committee so that all House Republicans can have input on committee assignments
        Open the legislative process to allow for amendments. Members have not been allowed to vote on an amendment on the House floor since May 2016, and the Republican 115th Congress, under then-Speaker Paul Ryan (R-WI), broke the record for the most bills being considered without amendments
        Ensure fiscal responsibility by blocking consideration of any other bill until the House can pass an appropriations bill by August 1. If the House has not acted by September 10, then the Speaker should be prevented from recessing or adjourning until it has passed a spending bill

more
https://redstate.com/streiff/2022/11/30/house-gop-group-hints-they-will-deal-with-democrats-to-elect-a-house-speaker-if-kevin-mccarthy-doesnt-win-n666888
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I am sick of these guys..they don't deserve being in power  9999hair out0000
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Kamaji

And there we have it ....

Offline libertybele

Ditto!!!!   9999hair out0000 9999hair out0000 888mouth
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
MORE

November 30, 2022 5:26pm EST
Republicans opposing McCarthy say they are determined to sink his speakership bid if demands not met
Lamwakers want significant changes in how the GOP conference operates and major spending cuts

By Tyler Olson | Fox News

House Republicans opposing Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy's endangered bid for speaker say he's not agreeing to their demands, which include significant changes in how the GOP conference operates and major spending cuts. 

They say they're prepared to vote against his candidacy for speaker on the House floor on Jan. 3 if McCarthy, R-Calif., doesn't cede to their demands, and they claim there are several other Republicans who will do the same. 

"Miracles do happen," Rep. Ralph Norman, R-S.C., said when asked if there is any chance he'd vote for McCarthy. "I am a hard no. I am willing to listen for the next 33 days... I'm anxious to listen. I went to a meeting yesterday where we listened."

"If it's just [changes to House] rules, no," Norman told Fox News Digital. "It's going to have to be more substantive than just rules. Rules can be waived… He's going to have to give an ironclad… agreement that we will have a budget that will balance. If not in seven years, give me a timeframe."

Norman continued that McCarthy should tell committee chairs, "This is what we've got to have, cuts we've got to have. And if you don't do that, all of a sudden your chairmanship may be in jeopardy."

Norman is joined by Rep. Andy Biggs, R-Ariz., who says he's going to challenge McCarthy on the House floor on Jan. 3., and Reps. Bob Good, R-Va., Matt Rosendale, R-Mont., and Matt Gaetz, R-Fla.

Good said it is "good news" that "the leadership challenge has encouraged the leadership to consider some changes that need to be made to how Congress operates." But, he added, there are significant sticking points that remain, including bringing back the motion to vacate the chair, enacting a "majority of the majority" rule, and retuning legislation to regular order through committees.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/republicans-opposing-mccarthy-take-miracle-earn-vote-speaker
Support the USO

Offline EdinVA

Enact a “majority of the majority” rule that legislation passed in a Republican House should be supported by a majority of House Republicans to prevent leadership from cutting deals with Democrats if a bill is not supported by conservatives
        Restore independence of committees by electing committee chairs based on qualifications and effectiveness
        Diversify the Steering Committee so that all House Republicans can have input on committee assignments
        Open the legislative process to allow for amendments. Members have not been allowed to vote on an amendment on the House floor since May 2016, and the Republican 115th Congress, under then-Speaker Paul Ryan (R-WI), broke the record for the most bills being considered without amendments
        Ensure fiscal responsibility by blocking consideration of any other bill until the House can pass an appropriations bill by August 1. If the House has not acted by September 10, then the Speaker should be prevented from recessing or adjourning until it has passed a spending bill

It appears to me that mccarthy is power hungry and does not want to let the other republicans play.....
He needs to get his head screwed on straight and make these changes... mccarthy should not be a red pelosi...

Offline libertybele

It appears to me that mccarthy is power hungry and does not want to let the other republicans play.....
He needs to get his head screwed on straight and make these changes... mccarthy should not be a red pelosi...

The majority of Congress doesn't have their heads screwed on straight.  I believe McCarthy will be Speaker and just as much of a disaster as Boehner and Ryan if not more so.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I believe McCarthy will be Speaker and just as much of a disaster as Boehner and Ryan if not more so.

I agree..I hope he's not a crier... :crying:
Support the USO

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
He needs to get his head screwed on straight and make these changes... mccarthy should not be a red Pelosi...

And things are no different in the house!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 12:00:43 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DefiantMassRINO

... Congressional Republicans - snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline bilo

... Congressional Republicans - snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Defeat will be making McCarthy Speaker without the changes being demanded, especially requiring a majority of the majority to bring legislation to the floor.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Night Hides Not

Trump has spoken, he's endorsed McCarthy...the issue is closed.  888mouth

Can't have it both ways, Trump supporters.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 03:00:13 am by Night Hides Not »
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline bilo

Trump has spoken, he's endorsed McCarthy...the issue is closed.  888mouth

Can't have it both ways, Trump supporters.

Supporting Trump doesn't mean you agree with him 100% of the time.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Night Hides Not

Supporting Trump doesn't mean you agree with him 100% of the time.

SACRILEGE!!!!

:rolling:
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Conservatives: If you want my vote, there's a couple of common sense things we need to agree to...

Republican Leadership: Screw you.

Democrats: BOO!

Republican Leadership: I bow before you my overlords.
The Republic is lost.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Exactly as I predicted.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: