Author Topic: WV: Republicans add one more to their mega-majority in the state Senate, as Glenn Jeffries switches  (Read 545 times)

Offline mountaineer

Republicans add one more to their mega-majority in the state Senate, as Glenn Jeffries switches
 By Brad McElhinny 
December 1, 2022 - 9:30 am
Republicans, who already had all but a handful of seats in the state Senate, now have another.

Senator Glenn Jeffries, who had been a Democrat, has registered this week as a Republican. ...

“Glenn described himself to me as a ‘conservative,’ and we agreed that his policy efforts in the State Senate would be elevated if he joined the majority Republican caucus. Glenn also expressed to me his discomfort with the leftward direction of the Democratic Party and that he no longer identifies with them.”

Republicans dominated West Virginia elections earlier this month, giving the GOP a 30-seat majority in the 34-member Senate. Now it’s 31 of 34. ...

Democrats had control of the chamber through 2013 with a 24 to 10 majority. In 2014, Republicans gained control with a narrow 18-16 majority — and they’ve continued to build on that.

During the last session, the Republican majority was 23 Republicans and 11 Democrats.

In 1992, Democrats had a 32-2 advantage in the Senate.  ...
Metro News

Now, if only some of these Republicans wouldn't vote like Democrats!

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Congratulations to WV and a note of caution.

Texas has long had very large Republican majorities in both houses of its legislature but still has great difficulty in moving Republican Legislative Priorities.  Why is that you ask? Because a coalition of Democrats and RINOs continue to elect the Speaker of the House who then appoints Democrats to chair key committees there.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

Same here, @Bigun. Some of the party bigwigs in the Legislature are solidly in the RINO camp.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Same here, @Bigun. Some of the party bigwigs in the Legislature are solidly in the RINO camp.

I'm sorry, but not surprised, to hear that @mountaineer it seems to be a very common problem.  As in, Most of the Maricopa County Arizona government is "Republican".
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline cato potatoe

Who is going to replace Joe Manchin?  The WV democrat party has been in zombie mode ever since Al Gore was nominated, and it was finished off by Obama.  The national offices should be a slam dunk at this point.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
West Virginia looks to be shaping up as possibly "the reddest" state of them all, but...

... why are they still electing guys like Manchin...?