Author Topic: Gimme, Gimme, Gimme!  (Read 203 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Gimme, Gimme, Gimme!
« on: November 30, 2022, 03:49:27 pm »
Gimme, Gimme, Gimme!
A brief primer in causation

POSTED ON 18 NOV 22
BY MARK HODGSONIN ALARMISM, CLIMATE CHANGE, COP27, HISTORY, MEDIA, POLITICS, 

Perhaps it’s because the previous 26 COPs have all failed to reduce anthropogenic global greenhouse gas emissions. Perhaps it’s because COPs have always been more about politics than science. Whatever the reason, the focus at COP27 seems to have been much less about endeavours to reduce CAGW, and much more about a new agenda. Yes, there’s a new kid in town at the seaside holiday resort of Sharm-el-Sheikh – “loss and damage”.

In essence, the wrangling this time round has been about the subject of the alleged loss and damage suffered by developing countries (nobody seems much bothered if developed countries have suffered loss and damage), allegedly caused by “climate change” (the now well-established shorthand for human-made climate change), allegedly the fault of (perhaps only of) developed countries, and consequent demands that developed countries should therefore be obliged to hand over lots of dosh to developing countries by way of reparations for their alleged climate crimes.

There are, however, a number of problems with these demands (apart from the obvious one that developed countries are pretty all massively in debt with economies that are failing, and don’t want to hand over the dosh).

The First Problem

https://cliscep.com/2022/11/18/gimme-gimme-gimme/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson