General Category > Editorial/Opinion/Blogs

TUCKER CARLSON: Apple is now an active collaborator with China's murderous police state

<< < (2/2)

Kamaji:

--- Quote from: roamer_1 on November 30, 2022, 03:48:22 pm ---YEP. I much prefer Android to Apple any day... but all it does is give you over to Google, which is merely another head of the same hydra...

Granted, as I become more educated, I have slipped those bonds more than most - Less to Google and more to Samsung and Microsoft... Pick your poison I guess..

--- End quote ---

True enough.  My understanding is that Android, although a Google-owned product, is somewhat more open than Apple's ecosystem, which is definitely a closed universe.

Edit:  there are some open-source alternative mobile operating systems, but my guess is that finding a provider who will work with a DIY phone OS are few and far between.

Source:  https://itsfoss.com/open-source-alternatives-android/

roamer_1:

--- Quote from: Kamaji on November 30, 2022, 03:57:55 pm ---True enough.  My understanding is that Android, although a Google-owned product, is somewhat more open than Apple's ecosystem, which is definitely a closed universe.

--- End quote ---

It sure is more open... And if freedom minded coders would offer non-tracking software free of the Google Apps store, it has the real capability of being free (as in liberty).

There may be some hardware that is unavoidable - Samsung is a google partner after all... But tracking is highly distributed through apps and services. And the apps and services are what make a smart phone worth having.

I have done alright moving away from Google in all things except maps and nav. I can find no satisfactory replacement for that.

Fishrrman:
Apple's got too much business tied up in China.

Not only their manufacturing that is based there. I would reckon that China comprises a significant part of their market, as well.

Disclaimer:
I've been a Mac guy since 1987, and an Apple // user before that.
Wouldn't use anything else.

But... don't own an iPhone, iPad, or any of that stuff.
No smartphone here... at all.

libertybele:

--- Quote from: aligncare on November 30, 2022, 03:31:54 pm ---Just, Wow.  You know, if there was a manufacturer offering a phone and tablet that could rival the simplicity of iOS, I would dump Apple.  Especially if the competitor was able to deliver a more affordable price point than Appleā€™s.

--- End quote ---

I believe that Elon Musk was talking about coming up with a phone to rival Apple.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version