Author Topic: McCarthy huddles with opponents of leadership bid in latest effort to clinch speakership  (Read 804 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
McCarthy huddles with opponents of leadership bid in latest effort to clinch speakership
by Cami Mondeaux, Breaking News Reporter |
November 30, 2022 08:36 AM

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy met with several right-wing members of his party during a meeting on Tuesday as part of the California Republican’s latest efforts to scrounge up enough votes to become House speaker.

McCarthy met with a number of Republican lawmakers and caucus chairs during a meeting on Tuesday to discuss GOP conference rules that are set to be voted on later Wednesday. During that meeting, the House minority leader also sought to court a number of members of the right-wing House Freedom Caucus who have publicly vowed to vote against his speakership.

WHY 218 MAY NOT BE THE MAGIC NUMBER FOR KEVIN MCCARTHY TO BECOME SPEAKER

To secure his bid as House speaker, McCarthy needs a majority of voting members — in this case, 218 lawmakers — to vote for him when his nomination goes before the entire House floor in January. The most recent projections suggest the GOP will hold a 222-213 advantage in the House for the next two years, giving McCarthy little room for error.

However, conversations behind closed doors indicate the House minority leader may have his work cut out for him, with “as many as 10” Republicans saying they’ll vote against his speakership, according to Freedom Caucus ally Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA).

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/house/mccarthy-huddles-with-opponents-to-clinch-speakership
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
None of this secret deal crap. Any demands agreed to need to be made highly public. Anytime a Rat says 'boo' and guys like McCarthy go prostrating and bootlicking, anytime a Rep demands even the most common sense thing and it's resistance resistance resistance resistance.

As a test to see if he has any cajones, the first thing on that list is if there are any J6 participants still in jail and uncharged, McCarthy needs to file Habeus Corpus with the courts and see it thru.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Kamaji

None of this secret deal crap. Any demands agreed to need to be made highly public. Anytime a Rat says 'boo' and guys like McCarthy go prostrating and bootlicking, anytime a Rep demands even the most common sense thing and it's resistance resistance resistance resistance.

As a test to see if he has any cajones, the first thing on that list is if there are any J6 participants still in jail and uncharged, McCarthy needs to file Habeus Corpus with the courts and see it thru.

:thumbsup:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
My prediction: McCarthy will get the votes he needs from the Democrats.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline libertybele

Unfortunately I think you are correct.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Killer Clouds

Why not? McCarthy is a democrat.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
I really hope this isn't true. It's like he doesn't even want to work with conservatives. He'd rather be betrayed by Dems.
The Republic is lost.

Offline bilo

If that happens he's done. He can play games with "working across the aisle" but conservatives should vote no on everything and be sure to primary any Pubs that go along with McCarthy. It's time for the base to get control of the party.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Night Hides Not

Trump has already endorsed McCarthy for Speaker...the discussion is over.

:rolling:
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
If that happens he's done. He can play games with "working across the aisle" but conservatives should vote no on everything and be sure to primary any Pubs that go along with McCarthy. It's time for the base to get control of the party.

All I ever hoped for winning the House was a stalemate where nothing got done. The work that really needs done is at the state level.

What you propose might be an ingenious way to flush out the RINOs.
The Republic is lost.

Offline bilo

All I ever hoped for winning the House was a stalemate where nothing got done. The work that really needs done is at the state level.

What you propose might be an ingenious way to flush out the RINOs.

You are so right. I just saw on the news how new school boards in FL are firing superintendents. If we want the culture to change for the better it starts at home and at the schools.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline libertybele

Ditto - change needs to happen at the state and local levels and yes, FL is leading in that example.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
Ditto - change needs to happen at the state and local levels and yes, FL is leading in that example.

Yep. The conservative GOP needs a makeover, a cultural/basic governance focus that works from the bottom up.

There is so much we can change at the non-Federal level, things that are near and dear to the woke Left and we could chop them off at the knees.
The Republic is lost.

Offline libertybele

Yep. The conservative GOP needs a makeover, a cultural/basic governance focus that works from the bottom up.

There is so much we can change at the non-Federal level, things that are near and dear to the woke Left and we could chop them off at the knees.

Amen! The States need to take their power back.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
My message to the Freedom Caucus in their negotiations with RINO McCarthy....   Taking from an old UK naval meme. 

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
I'm always suspicious of someone "fighting" for a leadership position...generally all they want is power and are typical self-serving hacks.

In the case of McCarthy, he has shown himself to be just that on numerous occasions.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Hoodat

I'd prefer McCarthy compromise with the Freedom Caucas for their votes than to do so with the Dems.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

I'd prefer McCarthy compromise with the Freedom Caucas for their votes than to do so with the Dems.

McCarthy is a RINO and he will get the votes from those just like him; RINO's and DEMS.