Author Topic: Pentagon sees no imminent threat to Taiwan from Chinese buildup  (Read 88 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Pentagon sees no imminent threat to Taiwan from Chinese buildup
« on: November 30, 2022, 12:59:27 pm »
Pentagon sees no imminent threat to Taiwan from Chinese buildup
By Meghann Myers and Joe Gould
 Nov 29, 12:02 PM

A new report from the Pentagon details China’s more provocative and aggressive actions toward Taiwan, but Defense Department officials say those actions do not mean an invasion will happen soon.

The annual China Military Power Report sent to Congress this week noted that the country’s military overhaul is continuing apace, including the modernization of its capabilities and the expansion of its nuclear arsenal. It comes amid heightened tension between China and Taiwan, and as President Joe Biden is expected to meet with Chinese President Xi Jinping in the coming months.

“I don’t see any kind of imminent indications of an invasion,” a senior defense official told reporters Monday. “We’re definitely very focused on this level of more intimidating and coercive behavior, and watching closely to see how things unfold.”

The report reiterates that China is the only country with the will and the military capacity, while still getting up to speed, to challenge what it describes as the U.S.-led “world order.”

https://www.c4isrnet.com/news/your-military/2022/11/29/pentagon-sees-no-imminent-threat-to-taiwan-from-chinese-buildup/
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 01:00:27 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Pentagon sees no imminent threat to Taiwan from Chinese buildup
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 01:02:09 pm »
I'm aware the Pentagon is incompetent enough to believe this nonsense, but do they, or is this disinformation? :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson