Author Topic: America's gun epidemic is deadlier than ever, and there are vast disparities in who's dying  (Read 472 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
America's gun epidemic is deadlier than ever, and there are vast disparities in who's dying
Story by Deidre McPhillips • Yesterday 11:58 AM

Firearm deaths surged in the US during the Covid-19 pandemic, killing a record number of people in 2021. But as America’s gun epidemic gets worse, its burden is not equal.

A new study published Tuesday in JAMA Network Open analyzed firearm deaths over the past three decades – a total of more than 1 million lives lost since 1990. The researchers found that firearm mortality rates increased for most demographic groups in recent years – especially during the pandemic – and vast disparities persisted.

While recent data shows some familiar patterns, the sheer scale of the issue brings the United States to a “new moment in the history of firearm fatalities,” said Dr. Eric Fleegler, a pediatric emergency physician and researcher with Boston Children’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School and co-author of the study.

“At this moment in time, we have seen a dramatic increase that is really unparalleled,” he said. “During the time of the Covid pandemic, going from 2019 up to 2021, we’ve seen over a 25% increase in fatalities in two years alone. That has never happened.”

Overall, men are significantly more at risk. Nearly 86% of all firearm deaths since 1990 have been among men, according to the study, which used data from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The researchers found that firearm homicides were highest among Black men, and firearm suicide rates were highest among senior White men.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/america-s-gun-epidemic-is-deadlier-than-ever-and-there-are-vast-disparities-in-who-s-dying/ar-AA14HhrT?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=d333263aa1bb4c27abb4f5a60016702b
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 12:39:21 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Notice how they ever so delicately tiptoe around the real cause of the violence:  culture.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Either the study omitted, or more likely, CNN omitted statistics on WHO WAS DOING ALL THE KILLING.  My guess is statistics would show black lives don't matter nearly as much as CNN and the liberal media have been trying to convince everyone is a valid belief, particularly among blacks. :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Either the study omitted, or more likely, CNN omitted statistics on WHO WAS DOING ALL THE KILLING.  My guess is statistics would show black lives don't matter nearly as much as CNN and the liberal media have been trying to convince everyone is a valid belief, particularly among blacks. :pondering:

:thumbsup:

Offline EdinVA

The FBI's website claims something on the order of 13,000 total homicides average per year so 30 years would total about 300,000-400,000.... Someone is lying..
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2019/crime-in-the-u.s.-2019/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-8.xls

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Notice how they ever so delicately tiptoe around the real cause of the violence:  culture.

And woke DA's cultivating that culture.
The Republic is lost.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Not that I believe the numbers from an agenda driven source, but I wonder just how many of those firearm deaths during the lockdown were suicides by people already on the edge pushed over the edge by the isolation increasing their feelings of despair? Shouldn't all those deaths be attributed tp Fauci rather than firearms?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Not that I believe the numbers from an agenda driven source, but I wonder just how many of those firearm deaths during the lockdown were suicides by people already on the edge pushed over the edge by the isolation increasing their feelings of despair? Shouldn't all those deaths be attributed tp Fauci rather than firearms?
:yowsa:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online libertybele

What about all those who couldn't be with their loved ones while they were dying in the hospital of COVID?  Talk about despair and heartbreak.

Loneliness, heartbreak, despair and death are all on Fauci!!! Who knows what the contributing factors were on these gun-related deaths.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
What about all those who couldn't be with their loved ones while they were dying in the hospital of COVID?  Talk about despair and heartbreak.

Loneliness, heartbreak, despair and death are all on Fauci!!! Who knows what the contributing factors were on these gun-related deaths.
Not to mention desperation from economic devastation due to lockdowns.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis