Author Topic: A Flood of Venezuelan Migrants Is Angering Other Venezuelans  (Read 137 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
A Flood of Venezuelan Migrants Is Angering Other Venezuelans
« on: November 29, 2022, 04:18:16 pm »
POLITICS

A Flood of Venezuelan Migrants Is Angering Other Venezuelans

Longtime residents resent the new arrivals’ illegal entry, but they’re not happy with Biden’s attempts to stem the flow.

By TONY FRANGIE MAWAD

11/29/2022 04:30 AM EST

It took Yoaibimar Daal about a month to make the more-than-3,000-mile trek from Ecuador, where she was living, through the jungles of Central America to New York City. It took her a matter of hours to become the most virally known Venezuelan immigrant in America.

In early September, Daal stood in Times Square, her disabled son in a baby stroller, and pressed record on her phone as she half-screamed and half-cackled: “New York!”

“La marginal en Nueva York!”

In Venezuelan slang, la marginal roughly translates as “ghetto woman,” so the brief video seemed to be a celebration of Daal’s arduous journey. The video quickly went viral on YouTube, but not everyone was celebrating with her. Indeed, many Venezuelans living in the United States mocked her for her less-educated pronunciation.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/11/29/a-flood-of-venezuelan-migrants-has-angered-a-surprising-group-other-venezuelans-00070990
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson