Author Topic: Scientists warn long-frozen ‘zombie virus’ is ‘public health threat’ amid thaw  (Read 379 times)

Offline Kamaji

Scientists warn long-frozen ‘zombie virus’ is ‘public health threat’ amid thaw

By Ben Cost
November 28, 2022

They’re potentially prying open Pandora’s pox.

French scientists have sparked fears of yet another pandemic after reviving a “zombie virus” that had been trapped under a frozen lake in Russia for a record 50,000 years.

“The situation would be much more disastrous in the case of plant, animal, or human diseases caused by the revival of an ancient unknown virus,” reads the “viral” study, which has yet to be peer-reviewed. The new research was helmed by microbiologist Jean-Marie Alempic from the French National Centre for Scientific Research, Science Alert reported.

According to the preliminary paper, global warming is causing vast swaths of the permafrost — permanently frozen ground covering one-quarter of the Northern Hemisphere — to irreversibly thaw. This has had the alarming effect of “releasing organic matter frozen for up to a million years” — including potentially harmful pathogens.

“Part of this organic matter also consists of revived cellular microbes (prokaryotes, unicellular eukaryotes) as well as viruses that remained dormant since prehistorical times,” the researchers write.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/11/28/long-frozen-zombie-virus-is-public-health-threat-amid-thaw/

Offline Kamaji

Here we go again, again.

:facepalm2:

Offline DefiantMassRINO

The unwashed masses are becoming wise to the Global Climate Change fraud.

How shall humanity avoid this zombie virus pandemic?  Perhaps, by doubling-down on Global Climate Change nonsense?

Who will evangelize this new possible apocolypse to the dullards?  Alleged scientists?  Alleged experts?  The United Nations?  Hysterical media?  Celebrities?  Grade-school teachers?

How's that hole in the ozone layer doing over Antarctica?  I'm still awaiting the big payback of that threat.

Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline rustynail

"to irreversibly thaw"?  That does not sound right.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
See I told you death by asteroid was already done, now it's death by ancient virus time, OMG, we're all

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
There is a point where things are of such a nature that no one should bleep with them.

For people in general, we put up signs that say "High Voltage", "ACHTUNG! MINEN!", and other such warnings, but for those who should be well aware that what they are messing around with could end the human race, or even life as we know it, there seem to be no bounds on tinkering with such things.

Time to quit flirting with the apocalypse.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis