Author Topic: U.S. Supreme Court to hear fight over Biden immigration enforcement policy  (Read 171 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
U.S. Supreme Court to hear fight over Biden immigration enforcement policy

By Nate Raymond and Andrew Chung

WASHINGTON, Nov 29 (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday is set to consider whether President Joe Biden's administration can implement guidelines - challenged by two conservative-leaning states - shifting immigration enforcement toward public safety threats in a case testing executive branch power to set enforcement priorities.

The justices will hear the administration's bid to overturn a judge's ruling in favor of Texas and Louisiana that vacated U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) guidelines narrowing the scope of those who can be targeted by immigration agents for arrest and deportation.

The Democratic president's policy departed from the hardline approach of his Republican predecessor, Donald Trump, who sought to broaden the range of immigrants subject to arrest and removal. Biden campaigned on a more humane approach to immigration but has been faced with large numbers of migrants crossing the U.S.-Mexico border.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/us-supreme-court-hear-fight-over-biden-immigration-enforcement-policy-2022-11-29/?rpc=401&
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson