Author Topic: NYC convictions plummet, downgraded charges surge under Manhattan DA Bragg  (Read 463 times)

Offline Kamaji

NYC convictions plummet, downgraded charges surge under Manhattan DA Bragg

By Melissa Klein
November 26, 2022

Soft-on-crime Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg has downgraded more than half his felony cases to misdemeanors — while also managing to lose half of the felony cases that do reach court.

Since taking office on Jan. 1, Bragg has downgraded 52% of felony cases to misdemeanors — compared to 39% in all of 2019. Between 2013 and 2020, under District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr., the percentage of cases the office downgraded had never exceeded 40%, according to data made public by the DA’s office.

When serious felony charges are brought, Bragg’s office wins a conviction just 51% of the time — down from 68% in 2019, the last year before the pandemic disrupted the court system.

He has declined to prosecute 35 percent more felony cases this year than in 2019, with 1,119 so far in 2022 compared to 828 three years ago.

The DA’s office requested bail in only 49% of felony cases this year compared to 69% in 2019. State bail reform measures mean almost no non-violent felonies are eligible for bail now although they were in 2019.

Misdemeanor convictions have also spiraled downward — to 29% so far this year, from 68% in 2019.

Bragg, who campaigned last year on a promise of criminal justice reform, proudly displays the numbers on his web site, the only one of the city’s five district attorneys to do so.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/11/26/convictions-plummet-downgraded-charges-surge-under-manhattan-da-bragg/

Offline Kamaji

Re: NYC convictions plummet, downgraded charges surge under Manhattan DA Bragg
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 04:22:28 pm »
Ya gets what ya voted for.  No matter how liberal one is, the law of consequences cannot be repealed.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 04:42:25 pm »
Kind of, sort of, wish I could feel sorry for New Yorkers for what they themselves have brought down on their own heads and on their children.

But then I think ... who cares? They got what they voted for so, whatever?
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 04:44:59 pm »
Kind of, sort of, wish I could feel sorry for New Yorkers for what they themselves have brought down on their own heads and on their children.

But then I think ... who cares? They got what they voted for so, whatever?

Personally, as someone who left NYC 10 years ago, but who still commutes in for work, I would say don't feel a pinch of sympathy for them.  They need to learn the consequences of their actions - including their votes - and they need to learn that voting on the basis of fact-free feelings gets you ugly consequences.

The sooner they collectively learn that ugly lesson, the better for everyone.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022, 05:08:29 pm »
Ya gets what ya voted for.

You get to the point in life with those who want to rebel and flip the bird at even acting in their own common sense self-interest, that you just let them get the ball bat to the head till they learn.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2022, 11:12:50 pm »
Kamaji observes (wisely):
"They need to learn the consequences of their actions - including their votes - and they need to learn that voting on the basis of fact-free feelings gets you ugly consequences.
The sooner they collectively learn that ugly lesson, the better for everyone."

If they haven't learned by now (or "begun the process of learning")... they ain't going to.

Even Ayn Rand's famous statement about "evading reality" does not apply here.
No matter how hard the consequences of evading reality hit them... they STILL will vote for the communist left again and again.