Author Topic: Sea Ice Mysteries  (Read 172 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Sea Ice Mysteries
« on: November 28, 2022, 01:05:39 pm »
CE
Sea Ice Mysteries
18 hours ago 
Guest Post By Willis Eschenbach

I’ve never seen either the Arctic or the Antarctic ice pack. I have, however, commercially fished for roe herring in the Bering Sea, setting purse seine net in “brash ice” off of Nome, Alaska. Brash ice is the broken-up remains of the pack ice. It looks like this:

As a result, polar ice has been a long-time interest of mine. So let me invite you to take a wander with me through the current state of the Arctic and Antarctic ice packs. First, here are the changes in the Arctic sea ice cover:

Figure 1. Changes in the Arctic sea ice cover anomaly during the satellite era. Values are anomalies from the 1991-2020 thirty-year average

Since around 1990, people have been talking about how human-emitted CO2 is busily reducing the amount of Arctic sea ice. When it started dropping very fast around 2015, there was talk that we’d passed a “tipping point” from which the Arctic ice would never recover. And over this entire time, predictions of an “ice-free Arctic ocean” abounded.

But then … around 2018, the Arctic sea ice rebounded.

Why did it suddenly start dropping so fast post-2015?

Nobody knows. Not one scientist on the planet can tell you.

Why the quick turnaround and rebound starting in 2018?

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2022/11/27/sea-ice-mysteries/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson