Author Topic: These 100-year-old Marine Corps cartoons show that some things never change. 100 years ago, recruiti  (Read 201 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
These 100-year-old Marine Corps cartoons show that some things never change. 100 years ago, recruiting duty still sucked.

BY MAX HAUPTMAN | PUBLISHED NOV 23, 2022 8:37 AM

Keep chasing those recruiting quotas. (United States Marine Corps).

The uniforms, the equipment and the slang of the Marine Corps may have changed quite a bit since 1916, but some things never do. Some of those constants include longing to get back from a deployment overseas, the tedium of being in garrison, or recruiters lamenting how hard it is to find enough able-bodied recruits. And more than 100 years ago, there was no better way to poke fun at these trials and tribulations than with Marine Corps cartoons.

The Mud and the Mirth: Marine Cartoonists in WWI, written earlier this year by Cord Scott, a professor at the University of Maryland Global Campus and published by the Marine Corps University Press, offers a look back at some of these Terminal Lance-style comic strips of yesteryear.

The illustrations were mostly drawn by enlisted Marines and were featured in publications like Recruiters’ Bulletin and Marines Magazine.

https://taskandpurpose.com/culture/marine-corps-cartoons/
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 12:08:13 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
One BIG difference is back then they didn't have to try and overcome wokeness. :nono:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson