Author Topic: Nitrous Oxide and Climate  (Read 135 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Nitrous Oxide and Climate
« on: November 27, 2022, 04:44:56 pm »
Nitrous Oxide and Climate

Download the entire PDF Nitrous Oxide

Summary by Gregory Wrightstone and C. A. “Kees” de Lange

Nitrous oxide (N20) has now joined carbon dioxide (CO2) and methane (CH4) in the climate alarm proponents’ pantheon of anthropogenic “demon” gases. In their view, increasing concentrations of these molecules are leading to unusual and unprecedented warming and will, in turn, lead to catastrophic consequences for both our ecosystems and humanity.

Countries around the world are in the process of greatly reducing or eliminating the use of nitrogen fertilizers based on heretofore poorly understood properties of nitrous oxide. Reductions of N2O emissions are being proposed in Canada by 40 to 45 percent and in the Netherlands by up to 50 percent. Sri Lanka’s complete ban on fertilizer in 2021 led to the total collapse of their primarily agricultural economy.

To provide critically needed information on N2O, the CO2 Coalition has published an important and timely paper evaluating the warming effect of the gas and its role in the nitrogen cycle. Armed with this vital information, policymakers can now proceed to make informed decisions about the costs and benefits of mandated reductions of this beneficial molecule.

This new paper joins previous CO2 Coalition reports on other greenhouse gases, carbon dioxide and methane.

Key takeaways from the paper:

At current rates, a doubling of N2O would occur in more than 400 years.

Atmospheric warming by N2O is estimated to be 0.064oC per century.

Increasing crop production requires continued application of synthetic nitrogen fertilizer in order to feed a growing population.

N2O and its warming potential

https://co2coalition.org/publications/nitrous-oxide-and-climate/
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 04:45:42 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson