Author Topic: How Can We Do What We Do Better?  (Read 99 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
How Can We Do What We Do Better?
« on: November 27, 2022, 02:00:11 pm »
Sun, 11/20/2022 - 11:39pm
How Can We Do What We Do Better?

By Flavius Belisarius

(Editor’s Note: Flavius Belisarius reads the SWJ National Security and Korean News and Commentary daily.  Below he comments on three articles from last week and provides a unique perspective worth pondering to help us answer the question of “How Can We Do What We Do Better?”)

Dave,

I’m going to square three articles you presented in your dailies in one commentary, because all three are interrelated.  The articles are:

America Needs futurists and Traditionalists to Think Clearly About War, by Michael Ferguson & Nicholas Rife

Giving OSINT a Seat at the Defense Intelligence Table, by Evan Smith

How Defense Department Planning Horizons Can Better Avoid Strategic Surprise, by Travis Reese

All three articles indirectly ask the same question:  How can we do what we do better? 

What’s the Actual Issue?  Fear of Failure/Fear of Ignorance

The first thing to keep in mind is there are over 5,000 years of recorded military history, starting with the battle of Kadesh.  Second, each generation studying and engaging in the science and art of warfare suffer from amnesia.  The third thing to keep in mind is one can over-think, just like one can over-engineer.   

https://smallwarsjournal.com/jrnl/art/how-can-we-do-what-we-do-better
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson