Author Topic: Largest Distinguished Flying Cross Ceremony ‘in Decades’ Honors More Than 50 Airmen  (Read 162 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Largest Distinguished Flying Cross Ceremony ‘in Decades’ Honors More Than 50 Airmen
Nov. 23, 2022 | By Greg Hadley

Air Mobility Command boss Gen. Mike Minihan awarded 51 Distinguished Flying Cross awards at Joint Base Charleston, S.C., on Nov. 21—one of the largest DFC ceremonies in recent history.

All of the awards were given to Airmen who participated in Operation Allies Refuge, the noncombatant evacuation out of Kabul, Afghanistan, in the summer of 2021, as the Taliban seized control of the country and tens of thousands of civilians were airlifted to safety.

Among those honored were Airmen who rescued hundreds amid chaos as civilians breached the airfield at Hamid Karzai International Airport, aircrew from the very final flights out of Kabul on Aug. 30, 2021, and service members who helped deliver a baby aboard a C-17. The awardees also included the very first Black women to ever be given the Distinguished Flying Cross, the nation’s fourth-highest award for valor.

A press release from the 628th Air Base Wing deemed the ceremony “the largest of its kind in decades.” The Distinguished Flying Cross was first established in 1926.

https://www.airandspaceforces.com/largest-distinguished-flying-cross-ceremony-in-decades/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
While the people receiving the medals feel great honor, I believe the Pentagon or Congress, or both, are using them like carrots before a horse.  Look at the Generals of WWII and you won't see ribbons covering the left side of their uniforms.  You see very few, in fact.  The powers that be can pump out medals like congress can print money, and with the same effect - diminished value. :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
What,the Air Farce just happened to have a bunch of DFC's hanging around,and decided to hand them out like candy instead of just throwing them away?

Anybody that accepts and then wears one of those DFC's should be ashamed of themselves.

The Air Farce brass might THINK this is a good "PR" move for the USAF,but all it does is make them look like a bunch of posers.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!