Author Topic: NYC landlords could soon be denied criminal background checks for tenants  (Read 412 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
NYC landlords could soon be denied criminal background checks for tenants

By Rich Calder
November 26, 2022 12:32pm  Updated

A controversial bill prohibiting Big Apple landlords from performing criminal background checks on prospective tenants – even those convicted of murder and other heinous crimes – is on a fast track to becoming law.

At least 30 of the City Council’s 51 members have agreed to back the “Fair Chance for Housing Act,” which is set to go before the Council’s Committee on Civil Rights for its first public hearing on Dec. 8, records show.

Unlike an earlier version of the bill that died in another Council committee at the end of the last year following outcry from landlord advocacy groups and others, the new bill introduced in August by Councilman Keith Powers (D-Manhattan) is gaining steam because of support from newly elected pols. Its co-sponsors include Speaker Adrienne Adams.

And Mayor Eric Adams appears more than willing to sign it into law should the bill reach his desk.

https://nypost.com/2022/11/26/nyc-landlords-could-soon-be-denied-criminal-background-checks-for-tenants/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: NYC landlords could soon be denied criminal background checks for tenants
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 06:13:27 pm »
I wonder when NYC will have a politikal kommisar on all the business boards? :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 06:18:11 pm »
Could there a new wave of apartment-to-condo conversions in the future?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2022, 08:12:06 pm »
Could there a new wave of apartment-to-condo conversions in the future?

Almost certainly.