Author Topic: US Military Running Fake Social Media Accounts  (Read 227 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
US Military Running Fake Social Media Accounts
« on: November 26, 2022, 04:47:50 pm »
US Military Running Fake Social Media Accounts

Posted on November 25, 2022 by tonyheller

“The operation ran across many internet services, including Twitter, YouTube, Telegram, VKontakte and Odnoklassniki. It included several clusters of fake accounts on our platforms, some of which were detected and disabled by our automated systems prior to our investigation. The majority of this operation’s posts had little to no engagement from authentic communities.”

“although the people behind this operation attempted to conceal their identities and coordination, our investigation found links to individuals associated with the US military.”

https://realclimatescience.com/2022/11/us-military-running-fake-social-media-accounts/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online mountaineer

Re: US Military Running Fake Social Media Accounts
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 05:05:41 pm »
Meta claims US military link to online propaganda campaign
    By Chris Vallance,     Technology reporter
23 November 2022
BBC
"Individuals associated with the US military" are linked to an online propaganda campaign, Meta's latest adversarial-threat report says.

The campaign was the first major covert pro-US propaganda operation taken down by a big-tech company, independent researchers said in August. It supported the US and its allies, while opposing countries such as Russia, China and Iran. But experts said it was largely ineffective.  ...

But most of the posts had "little to no engagement" from real users.

US think tank the Atlantic Council's Digital Forensic Research Lab managing editor Andy Carvin told the BBC when the campaign was first revealed, it would be "ineffective and counterproductive" for democracies to undertake such campaigns, because it meant using "the very tactics used by your adversaries" and "further eroding public trust".

Meta's announcement confirms previous reporting by the Washington Post. Sources told the newspaper concern over the operation had made the Pentagon complete "a sweeping audit" of how the US military conducted clandestine information warfare. ...
More from BBC
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: US Military Running Fake Social Media Accounts
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 05:26:22 pm »
 ////00000////

So, some YouTube videos are really elements of a covert American pro-military propaganda influence campaign?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYE7gb51Xxk
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright