Author Topic: House GOP leadership rejects 6 of 8 rules changes sought by conservatives, with more pending  (Read 667 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

House GOP leadership rejects 6 of 8 rules changes sought by conservatives, with more pending

The proposed amendments still pending include the reimplementation of the Holman Rule, which would permit the targeted slashing of specific federal programs or individual federal employee salaries.

By Nicholas Ballasy

Updated: November 25, 2022 - 11:11pm

The House Republican leadership has rejected 6 out of the 8 House Freedom Caucus rules changes that have been considered so far, Just the News has learned.

The amendments that failed included a requirement that spending bills must pass before the fiscal year officially begins on Oct. 1. If not, other legislation would not be able to be considered on the floor. An amendment that would ensure all members of the Republican Conference are able to participate in conference meetings was rejected, and a rule change to allow one member, with the support of 25 others, to request having one Republican staffer admitted to conference meetings also failed.

In addition, House GOP leadership rejected an amendment that would have allowed committee members to elect their own chairmen. 

The two amendments that passed were related to prohibiting steering committee members, except elected leadership, from serving on the executive committee of the National Republican Congressional Committee, and reopening House grounds to the public again after access was limited due to the COVID-19 pandemic in March 2020.

more
https://justthenews.com/government/congress/house-gop-leadership-rejects-6-out-8-rules-changes-sought-conservatives-more-be
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

:banging:
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

:banging:

As I have said here many times previously, Republican majorities DO NOT equate to CONSERVATIVE majorities!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
In addition, House GOP leadership rejected an amendment that would have allowed committee members to elect their own chairmen.

I cannot imagine any Speaker of the House going for this, regardless of how "reform minded" he might be.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
In addition, House GOP leadership rejected an amendment that would have allowed committee members to elect their own chairmen.

I cannot imagine any Speaker of the House going for this, regardless of how "reform minded" he might be.

It's an exceedingly rare person who will cede power once he has it. 

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Right_in_Virginia

Precisely your preference.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
It's an exceedingly rare person who will cede power once he has it. 

It is, Earl. But we are not democrats, after all. Democracy is a flawed system because it can devolve into mob rule. That is why there have to be checks and balances.  Having been in the academic system where everything is done by committees, I can tell you that if the system was not designed so that the university president has the ultimate power, there would be chaos. Ultimately, there needs to be an individual at the top who takes responsibility. Sometimes that person will be a consensus builder, sometimes an autocrat.  Either style can be effective, and both have their advantages and limitations.  In the end, a great leader is one who understands what leadership style best suits his personality, and executes accordingly.

But yes, you are right.  No leader, no matter how consensus-oriented, would yield his ultimate power to a committee of underlings.  The trick of the consensus builder is to make the committee think it has authority when it actually doesn't.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
It is, Earl. But we are not democrats, after all. Democracy is a flawed system because it can devolve into mob rule. That is why there have to be checks and balances.  Having been in the academic system where everything is done by committees, I can tell you that if the system was not designed so that the university president has the ultimate power, there would be chaos. Ultimately, there needs to be an individual at the top who takes responsibility. Sometimes that person will be a consensus builder, sometimes an autocrat.  Either style can be effective, and both have their advantages and limitations.  In the end, a great leader is one who understands what leadership style best suits his personality, and executes accordingly.

But yes, you are right.  No leader, no matter how consensus-oriented, would yield his ultimate power to a committee of underlings.  The trick of the consensus builder is to make the committee think it has authority when it actually doesn't.

LOL! @massadvj

Victor, you have no idea how many three letters, management by committee, meetings I've been thrown out of for saying exactly that!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
"House GOP leadership rejects 6 of 8 rules changes sought by conservatives, with more pending"

The headline isn't correct.  It isn't GOP leadership, it's RINO leadership!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 06:23:22 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline bilo

The inability to really reform how the majority will govern is just one more example of why McCarthy can't be Speaker.

If conservatives don't stand together now and force real change when is it going to happen.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
If conservatives don't stand together now and force real change when is it going to happen.

Are you certain what they claim in public is what they want in private?
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline bilo

Are you certain what they claim in public is what they want in private?

I can't read minds, so I have to go by what people say and do. The Maga conservatives have come out in opposition so we will see what they do. If they fail to follow through then we know they really are no different than the Rino's, just more deceptive.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Then deny McCarthy the speaker spot. It's not like they have anything to lose.
The Republic is lost.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Quote from:  link=topic=485664.msg2745944#msg2745944 date=1669486266
LOL! @massadvj

Victor, you have no idea how many three letters, management by committee, meetings I've been thrown out of for saying exactly that!

@Bigun

Every one of them is a badge of honor.  :beer:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
@Bigun

Every one of them is a badge of honor.  :beer:

That's how I see it as well!   :beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien