Author Topic: Why One of the Slowest Weapons in Modern Warfare Is the Toughest to Defend Against  (Read 116 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Why One of the Slowest Weapons in Modern Warfare Is the Toughest to Defend Against
It’s much easier to intercept a cruise missile flying at 600 miles per hour than a torpedo swimming at just 60 miles per hour.

BY KYLE MIZOKAMIPUBLISHED: NOV 16, 2022

Defensive torpedoes are emerging as the best weapons for killing other torpedoes.

Despite being relatively slow and ponderous, submarine-fired torpedoes are ridiculously difficult to intercept.

The very attributes that make torpedoes slow also make them relentless killers.

In wartime, a new generation of anti-torpedo weapons could improve the survivability of surface warships. Today’s guided torpedoes are exceptionally difficult to defend against, despite their relatively slow speed, and for the past 70 years, navies worldwide have tried various countermeasures to confuse and distract incoming torpedoes to mixed results.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a41926547/why-torpedoes-are-tough-to-defend-against/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson